twisting on back legs

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by jannerbanner, Jun 20, 2014.

1. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I have a 7 week old buckling that started twisting his hind legs and feet outward with every step. I gave him Bo-Se, but don't actually know if the symptoms like what I am seeing that indicate selenium deficiency. He is eating, playing and acting normally. Any ideas? He has weedy pasture, alfalfa and Boer Developer pellets w/cocci prevention. Free choice minerals and kelp. Could this possibly be from to much calcium? Any suggestions would be most appreciated,
    janice

2. canyontrailgoats

canyontrailgoats New Member

Jan 4, 2014
    western montana
    Hmm, this sounds like the same thing nygoatmom is dealing with. She has a thread about her buckling with wobbly back legs and how she's going to help treat it. Look up her thread, or pm her.

3. crazygoatlady_inthemaking

crazygoatlady_inthemaking Gillian from Raese Farm

Apr 25, 2014
    Georgia
    Our babys this year had the same problem and, i know this sounds crazy but it works!, we fed them packs of powdered jello sprinkled over their food. It was just that thier joints were just loose and the jello helped. A home remedy i guess lol i just don't know how that would work for yours since im guessing it just started happening.

4. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

How about vitamins ADE? When did you give him the BoSe shot and how much?

6. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I have been giving him ADE gel because of his weepy eyes...I gave him
    1 1/4cc of Bo-Se. He weighs 40 lbs. 8 weeks old. Did you happen to watch the video? It's at: http://youtu.be/7Iq1e_wd0pQ

7. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Did you see the video of mine?

8. ksalvagno

9. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    Yes indeed I did read through NYGoatMom's thread and watched her videos over and over, but I couldn't tell if the twisting is like mine. What do you think?
    I gave him 1/2cc of banamine just now. If it something neurological then the banamine will should make an improvement and then at least I will know that that is the problem...I don't think it is, though. He doesn't seem to have good muscle development on his outer thighs and lays around a lot. He does play and act...bucky a lot more now that his eyes are better..but not like the others and the other kids can knock him down easily. I don't think he was walking like this even a week ago, but I read that selenium deficiency can come on quite suddenly at this age especially with bucklings that are growing fast. I am hesitant to give him copper bolus....copper scares me somewhat, but I am getting close to throwing kitchen sink at him. I don't think it's menengial worm...but I am beginning to wonder. Maybe I'll dose him with some Safeguard in case it's menengial worm, what do you think?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  10. NyGoatMom

NyGoatMom Shady Acre Homestead Supporting Member

Not sure....mine was really wobbly....has yours had selenium?

11. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    He was dosed at birth with selenium/e gel and again at 30 days. He has access to loose minerals and kelp 24/7, also. I gave 1 1/2cc of Bo-Se on Friday, but read that it takes about a week to see improvement with older kids.

12. ksalvagno

You may as well dose him with Safeguard. It is 1cc per 7 lbs of liquid for 5 days.

13. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    This is the dose for menengial worm?

14. ksalvagno

15. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Be sure and give a Vit. E gel cap when you give him the Bo-Se. (cut top off and squirt in his mouth)
    Good luck!

16. dreamacresfarm2

dreamacresfarm2 also known as Mayia real life Cheri

May 10, 2014
    Oregon
    Check his hoofs he seems to be rolling his feet in the vido

17. jannerbanner

jannerbanner janice

Mar 31, 2014
    S. Oregon
    I did and they were fine, but I trimmed them anyways just to be sure.

He does seem a bit better today! He is not getting tossed on his ear as easily by the other kids, has more energy and even attempted to do a 180...that didn't go very well, but he did try and that is more than I've seen for many days. I did give him the banamine yesterday, so I am not going to know if it was that or the bo-se I gave him on Friday that is making the fractional improvement. I sure hope it's the selenium. I have been told that copper deficiency can cause swelling on the spine just forward of the pelvis that causes twisting like this, but again I did bolus the doe. It may not be copper and could be a tumor or an injury so I am considering giving him lecithin to help heal nerve damage. I am also going to give him some replamin gel as that has copper and everything else in it, but I am not sure how long I should wait after giving him the Bo-Se. I'm probably going to start him on 9cc of Safeguard for 5 days to rule out menegeal worm, although if that is what it is or copper deficiency or a tumor, he will probably get no better, but maybe no worse and I am never going to know what went wrong.

So if anyone has advice on how long to wait to give the replamin gel after the Bo-Se I would like to hear it or any other thoughts you may have on my ramblings. ;)
    Thank you so much
    janice