twist's udder*update on the bucks-faith's kid is in!*

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by SDK, Dec 9, 2008.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    so i got some (not so great) pictures of twist's udder today.. i'm going to try and get better ones later this week

what do you think? criticize please.. but.. nicely

she does have a small fore pocket.

she milks about a quart each milking.. almost 10 weeks fresh and first freshener

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: twist's udder

i'm new to this, but i'll try anyway....

needs a higher/wider rear attachment. has good placed teats/medial.

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

From what I can tell she needs higher, tighter and wider rear attatchments. She has an ok medial, but needs better placed teats and as you said, a smoother foreudder. :thumb:

Hope that helps!!

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i'm trying to find a buck to breed her to that will improve that.. i'd breed her to kevin.. but i'm looking at other bucks too

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

IMO, She has a great medial and really nice capacity but does need improvment with a higher, wider rear attachment and her teats are a bit off to the side.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

I wouldnt worry to much about the forudder until her second freshioning. They can smooth out with freshionings. Lola the doe I am getting comes from lines that have slow maturing udders. Have great capacity but lack in the forudder area the smoothness until later freshionings. I would focus more on a buck who can improve the rear attachment. Medial looks good.

It is always hard with a FF as capacity tends to be lacking as well. You dont know if this is a trait of theirs or if it will come with future freshionings. It makes sense now why people tend to not sell bucklings off FF. They will know in future kiddings if the udder improves or if there are traits that will stick around they need to improve.

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
  8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i also found this guy..i'm really interested in breeding to him. his mother is faith!.. whom chelsey owns!

chelsea i want you! to tell me if he would help.. since you've seen moms udder

still waiting to hear back from the owner

http://www.snowdaleacres.com/buck.html

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

I thought that is the foreudder is not smooth on the first-freshening that it will only get worse w/ more freshenings as the foreudder attachment was not strong to begin with? :shrug: Some does can have a perfectly smooth foreudder their first-freshening and then develop a pocket in later freshenings.

I agree w/ everyone else. Nice medial, good capacity, needs higher/wider rear attachment, better placed teats, and smoother fore.

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

if youre looking for udder improvements i would definatly go with gideon. he not only carries one of the best herdnames int he country (which i hate to base things on herdnames but frankly names sell well when they have a good reputation like rosasharn does) And his dam is beautiful. She is a tremendous udder and area of attachment. the rest of her is nothing to sneeze at either. I think he would make some great improvements for you.
    beth

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

the fore udder gets smoother with freshenings.. gianiclis explains in on her website pretty well (pholia farms)

i like gideon, but i have to pay her 100 dollars and 5 dollars for each breeding memo.. and i have to house him and feed him and she wants to sell him before i need to breed

i'm thinking the one out of faith may be good.. but i'd like more in depth info on his mommas under ( chelsey...)

i got pictures of buddy's mothers udder.( 3 freshening) from the owner.. she is a kingwood daughter so it's fairly nice

the only issue was she could only find pictures of 4 days prior to her kidding.. so its not in its "full glory"

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

That's good to know. I will be checking that out. :)

Hmmm. That's a tough decision. I really like Gideon. But for me, I'd probably go with the buck from Lost Valley. Their herd seems to be doing wonderfully in the show ring. And you can't go wrong with Faith. Chelsey told me a bit about her udder. That it is just great. :)

Do any of these bucks have proven daughters? Or at least FF daughters?

13. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

Oh hahahahaha I had no idea, I was like Faith who? lol. Sorry!!

Her foreudder is super smooth and her attatchments are AWESOME!!!!!!! I mean AWESOME, AWESOME! Her teats are placed nicely too, and very easy to milk. She just needs more capacity which I think may come... and a slightly more defined medial. Her conformation is also incredible. She almost won Senior Grand in ADGA as a nearly dry doe.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

i will check around.. i know buddy doesn't but he throws really pretty kids

the girl with faith's buck kid hasn't gotten back to me

darn..

beau has daughters on the ground right now..and wether kids who should have been bucks.. but crappy market

15. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

how's her rear udder? that's one of twists biggest faults

16. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

ok so the lady has two gideon daughters.. one has really nice type.. but they dont have any udder pictures for the other one but i'm guessing it wasn't fantastic... since she said they are giving her one more kidding chance

no daughters on cavalier or the buck out of faith

beau's first two daughters are due in march ( to my bucks!!) so i will see

17. Muddy Creek Farm

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa

I forgot it? LOL, that is one of her best assets! It is really great as well, basically as high as it can be!

18. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

hopefully this girl is up for a breeding.. he is really pretty looking.. daddy is tae-bo

19. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

ok so. i am feeding for my friend who owns beau.. she also has this little buck luni

his daddy is kaapio acres RB Moonstruck

anyway.. i had pasture duty today and i got the chance to look over each boy really well and i noticed several things i like and dislike

beau: beau is a beautiful tricolor buck and he's won GCH several times.. but he toes out in the back and a bit in the front, has loose elbows, a short rump, and seems like he is getting too tall
    but he has very dairy skin and really nice shoulders and withers

luni: he was born in feb.. at first i thought he had a ewe neck.. but after i got his collar off and fixed his hair he looked a lot better. this little guy is really level with a nice rump, tight elbows and shoulders, a beautiful chest floor and good feet and legs, he is really wide which is nice.. im just concerned that being young he may change again.. but if i decide to breed to one of my friends bucks i think i would pick luni

i got a fairly decent picture of him in pasture today playing with a pine tree

20. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon

Do u have a pic of Luni's dam's udder?

If it is at all possible, I would go with the buck from Lost Valley or Rosasharn as they seem the most promising, with those genetics. But if you can't, then Luni is probably a good choice. For some reason, Beau just doesn't really appeal to me. . . . can't really explain why but he just doesn't. :?