Two day old kids coughing...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by motherofmaidens3, May 1, 2018.

1. motherofmaidens3

motherofmaidens3 New Member

May 1, 2018
    I am very new to this, I have had goats since I was very young but only dealt with full grown- no kids. Now I have 2, two day old kids that the dam abandoned. One was fine the other had "weak kid syndrome", finally worked with them enough to get them on a bottle (the one without "weak kid syndrome" did better but was still difficult to start on the bottle). But now both are coughing and lethargic. I've taken temps and both are normal. They do both have scours (which may be why they are lethargic) from the milk replacer so I just started electrolytes, but the cough has me worried at such a young and fragile age. However, as I said I am totally new to this! Is it normal for a new kid to cough and have some congestion? Because pneumonia from aspiration (from the bottle) keeps running through my head since they did have some trouble getting started with the bottle. Please any and all advice would be welcome!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

That isn't normal. After the electrolytes, use whole milk from the store. I'd give them B complex. I'd have a vet listen to their lungs.

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Check the roof of the mouths just for peace of mind that there is not a cleft palate in there.

What type of replacer are you using? They definitely shouldn't be scouring at 2 days old. Did they get colostrum?

Just to be sure - you took their temperatures rectally with a digital theremometer and they were between 101.5 and 103.5 F right?

4. motherofmaidens3

May 1, 2018
    I am using kid replacer, and yes rectally with digital thermometer temps were 101.5 exactly for one and 101.7 for the other. They did not get colostrum the dam had none idk why. I couldn't get anything from her- she wasn't one that I had raised, and I actually didn't even know she was pregnant when I got her- like I said no expert here, but she just wasn't ready, her milk sack never seemed full enough for her to be ready to give birth....anyway I did have colostrum supplement so I gave that for the first 24hrs. No cleft palate that I can see.

5. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Okay that's good you used the colostrum replacer first!

I would switch to whole fat cows milk (grocery store whole milk) as soon as possible and see if that fixes the scouring. Some replacers just cause scours. Not sure why but many folks experience that.

How much do they weigh and how many ounces per day are you feeding?

I'm really not sure what else to suggest about the cough though. Are their eyes and noses clear? No drainage?

6. motherofmaidens3

May 1, 2018
    No drainage, nose and eyes are clear. They are both aprox 7lb and they were taking about 6oz per feeding today. I will switch to the whole milk I just bought a gal this evening. The coughing is not constant, it is only here and there, but I can feel and hear congestion when I hold them to feed them.

7. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I’m sure the scours is from the replacer but just to be sure what color is the scours? If it’s yellow and runny points to E. coli. I’m just throwing that in because my first year I lost A LOT of kids to E. coli and doesn’t seem to cross a lot of people’s mind.
    Anyways I would keep a eye on the temp and address the scours, which you have been doing. They might just have a simple cold and having a hard time fighting it off because of the scours.

8. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Make sure their bellies are not rounded/filled out/bulging after a feeding. They should just be nice and firm and flat right in front of the hind legs. Goat kids sometimes will overeat!

Jessica84 likes this.