The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 bottle baby doelings
. #1 is 7.lbs 4 oz. Active alert, 103 temp active, talkative, she has watery diarrhea, acts hungry 24-7

#2.. is 6 lbs 14 oxs. eating, 100° temp, has a croupy cough when eating, not as active, has pooped today, normal, has trouble staying warm. I put her in a sweater to help maintain temp.

Both are eating( devouring) 4 ozs every 4 hours. #1 is more active than #2.

My Vets are out for a week with Covid, so are his staff.
Need your help. Please tell me from experience . Thankyou

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
My bottle babies last year were bad about coughing after they took their bottles. I adjusted the nipple, adjusted the angle I was feeding them at, they seemed to always get a cough. I would pat their sides over the chest area briskly to encourage them to cough everything out. They never showed signs of aspiration pneumonia, but I was always watching closely for it. I would try to adjust the bottle nipple for kid #2, maybe the one you have is letting out too much milk. And try adjusting the angle at which you hold the bottle. I would definitely keep an eye on her temperature. B complex would probably be good to help her perk up, along with getting her warmer.
What color and smell is the other kid's diarrhea, and how old is she?

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
Oh geez, if it rains, it pours ....
The doeling with the low temp and cough is the most concerning. How was her birth, could she have aspirated amniotic fluid? What meds do you have on hand in case it becomes pneumonia.

The doeling with diarrhea, switch to electrolytes for a few feedings then reintroduce milk with a pinch of probios added. She might just need to settle her tummy. If it continues, you can give her Spectoguard

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
How old are these girls? What color poops? Milk scours, or Ecoli are common for young ones.
Stop milk and replace with quality electrolytes
Give b complex as a support
Watch those temps..could be pneumonia brewing.
They maybe getting tad too much milk...when going back to milk once poop firms up. Start with 3 oz 4x a day For #1 and 2.5 for #2. This is only 10% body weight and may be adjusted as needed..but see how they do.

Best wishes

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
Also on the one coughing...have you checked for cleft ?

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thankyou everyone. #1 has yellow waterfor poop.no smell.
#2 black tarry poop, no milk poop yet.
Ill put them both on electrolytes. Thankyou

·
Super Moderator
32,973 Posts
Hows temps doing? Ecoli can cause Brite yellow watery poop. Milk scours would smell sour.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
They are eating 3 oz every 4 hours.
5 xs a day. 15 oz each. They have both been active.

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ive been useing the milk mixture with egg yolk & Karo syrup from my vet.
I gave her Spectroguard..I took a electrolytes spit shower this morning. I swear this 7lb 4iz baby grew 8 legs, wings and was biting & screaming with her bottle and me! She spit it out, bit the bottle, it was squirting everywhere. We had a rodeo with the bottle ,diaper, electrolytes and poop.😳😖
I need a shower.

·
Premium Member
6,886 Posts
I gave her Spectroguard..I took a electrolytes spit shower this morning. I swear this 7lb 4iz baby grew 8 legs, wings and was biting & screaming with her bottle and me! She spit it out, bit the bottle, it was squirting everywhere. We had a rodeo with the bottle ,diaper, electrolytes and poop.😳😖
I need a shower.
Well, did you get your shower yet? Lol 😂🤣😋😉😉
she definitely has a great set of lungs hahaha....😜😇
(I was on the phone ....and it was hilarious)

·
Registered
473 Posts
I need a shower.
Just out of curiosity when you have time what is that milk mixture?

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,545 Posts
I've experienced some milk mixtures to be too rich when they have egg or buttermilk in them, leading to scours and low temps. Not all goats have problems but some just can't handle it. Karo syrup I'd be hesitant to add to every feeding, the body isn't made to get that much glucose consistently.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts