The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
@GoofyGoat ..lol no shower yet. I still have some sticky stuff..lol just got through outside feeding. Now back to the lungs...lol
@TripleShareNubians ..ill be glad to
16 oz milk
1 egg yolk
1 TBSP of Karo Syrup

@NigerianDwarfOwner707 I dont give out any info unless Ive used it with success. Heres Tink my last year Bottle Baby whom is now 10 months old 90lb Registered 100% boer
Working animal Goat Dog breed Grass Terrestrial animal

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,545 Posts
@NigerianDwarfOwner707 I dont give out any info unless Ive used it with success. Heres Tink my last year Bottle Baby whom is now 10 months old 90lb Registered 100% boer
Not sure what you mean exactly but if you're talking about the mix, I'm sure you wouldn't use it unless you knew it and liked it! But every goat is different, I've noticed that some bellies just can't handle more than plain milk. It's nothing against your recipe at all... but if something isn't working, it doesn't always hurt to change it and see if it gets better.

Nothing I say is ever an attack to you, I am not sure why it seems that my advice is always seen as that. I don't have any animosity toward you and if you don't want to take my advice, you absolutely don't have to. You don't need to prove yourself, though. I know you are a capable and well-educated goat owner. But you asked for opinions here.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
@NigerianDwarfOwner707 ..sorry you took it that way. I was only proving I had used the formula, its actually an original old formula. I only give info I have actually done. Thats all I was saying. To assure others, it has worked for me.
Yes I am and always ask for help. I trust anyone who answers me has tried it ,and it has worked for them.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
You might transition to just plain milk for the doeling who has the runs. And see if it helps. You can also give spectinomycin (ScourCheck I believe is the name of the stuff I have). It's a liquid formula for pigs. I follow the recommended dose for pigs. It seems like your kid would most likely be too young to have bacterial scours, but if it is bacterial, ScourCheck might help. I've used it a few times, and the goat is usually much better in 12 hours.

·
Premium Member
6,764 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Thankyou @toth boer goats . I will.
@GoofyGoat ..the twins,( i just call them that..they arent) are better. Still diarrhea, not as watery, more brown in color. Still no smell. They are eating, playing, TALKING, playing...and thank goodness...sleeping too

·
14,834 Posts
Just seeing this post!
Low temp and black tarry poop that persists past the first day most likely equals constipation. Any time you have that happen and baby is taking in milk, but it's not pooping, do an enema of warm soapy dishwater or mineral oil. Bottle babies are definitely very prone to constipation in the first couple of weeks IMO. So, her gut may not be right from being stopped up, that is where Spectogard and probiotics help.

Spectogard is my go to for any gut issues, it's great stuff, and IMO a life saver.
If they have a bacterial infection, it may take a day or so to recover. Also, try putting a little bit of probiotics in every other bottle. That's what we have done with our bottle kids, we add a little bit of the Goats Prefer Probiotic Power (TSC sells it) to every other bottle until they are weaned. We never had any issues once we got them going well on the bottle.
If it still persists, I agree cut them back to just some whole milk and see if that helps. I've only ever used the whole milk recipe (whole milk/buttermilk/evaporated milk), so I have no experience with the other recipes.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts