Two Does with Runs

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by nancy d, Sep 7, 2009.

1. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Two different ages, two different pens. No change but weather from hot & dry to cooler & rain.
    One gets grain the other does not. One UTD on worming the other not, she has freezer camp plans so is there meat withdrawl on this?
    Yesterday gave doe #1 first dose of sulfadimethoxine...normal berries this am.
    Doe #2 came up with runs this am, got her dose too.
    Other question is should they get the whole 5 day regime regardless of they look cleared up and should they get probiotics as well?
    Thanks everyone!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd have to say it was the change in weather, the one meant for freezer, check her eyelids, if they are pale then worm, but most reccommended wormers do have a meat withdrawal time. As far as continuing the sulpha, yes I would just in case :wink:

3. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks Liz, that's what I thought, just continue on. I thought there was a 30 day wait on wormers?? Maybe Im confusing it with meds.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the wormer should have a meat with drawl time on it as should the Sulfa

5. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Stacey that's what I have always thought.
    Ivomec says "Do not treat cattle within 35 days of slaughter, 18 days for swine".
    While goat metabolism is so much higher I usually go by the latest withdraw date just to be extra safe.
    Have no info on the sulfa.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how are the goaties ....nancy d ?

7. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Thanks for asking Pam, they are all cleared up however another one started. :angry:
    They usually clear up in a couple of days but the one of the originals tried to do a rerun on me the day before fair time. By the time we went to load she was clear again so I brought the meds just in case.
    Strange thing is that the young does & older ones are in seperate pens.
    I do not feed on the ground but a couple of them pick through fallen hay under the rack which infuriates me.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sounds like me and trying ot get rid of this cough! as soon as one is over it another two get it...............repeat

9. nancy d

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    You take care of yourself Stacey! :hug: