two goats dead after worms

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by mersydo, Dec 16, 2010.

1. mersydo

mersydo New Member

Jul 15, 2010
    i had a problem with worms in two boer goats starting aout a month ago. we drenched orally and treated with penicillin as per vet instructions ( an analysis of feces was done to confirm worm diagnosis ). the goats seemed to be getting better ( their feces was back to normal appearance and the goats were eating just like their penmates-mainly hay ). then, a week ago one of them died ( almost overnight from seemingly feeling good the day before ) and then two days ago the other one rejected feed for a day and then died. we're stumped as to why they seem to be getting better and then die. any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I have heard form several people that if you kill off the worms to fast if they are in a major worm over load, that can kill them, you have to treat the worms slowely. Now I do not know that was the cause. Also what about them being anemic? If they had a bad worm problem they could of been just to anemic and that not treated it will kill them.

3. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    What were the symptoms? What type of worms did the vet diagnose them with and what wormer/dosage did you use to treat them? I don't know why the vet would recommend pen for wormload? Did the results show coccidia at all?

I'm sorry that you lost your girls... that is sad. :( Do you have any other goats?

4. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

Do you think it could have been a blockage? Thats what happened to my little girl, she had cocci and worms....treated too fast and vet said she had a blockage

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    did you get a temp ?

From being so down... from worms...... also what may of happened is....their immunities.... have dropped way down ....so... they could of possibly died of pneumonia.... :hug: