The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I noticed that I had a sick mama and her kid. They were laying down a lot away from the rest of the herd and would only stand up for very short periods of time to eat a little. The doe looked healthy, just extremely lethargic. Her kid was the same way only with diarrhea. This evening I found the doe dead and the kid is in the same condition as she was yesterday. They are on about ten acres and only eating browse and grass. I was wondering if anyone has any advice until I can get in touch with the vet tomorrow. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
58,847 Posts
It can be so many things. You need to take a temp. Parasites for one. You would need a necropsy done on mom to find out what the problem was. How old is the kid? Do you put out minerals for your goats? Mineral deficiency could be another one. Do you copper bolus? Copper deficiency can lead to a whole host of problems.

I'm sorry you lost your doe.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
wow..Im sorry... as Karen said..could be several things

what to do NOW:

give the baby C D Antitoxin asap
Pepto to dry her bum and sooth her tummy
Give her electtrolytes (recipe to follow)
Get a temp on the baby...should 101.5-103.5 is normal range...if its high.begin antibiotics...Tylan 200 is a good otc choice..

things to check and treat if needed:

Check lower inner eye lids..if pale...WORM HER with Valbazen 1 cc per 10#
better to get a fecal but might have the luxury of time right now..

Pale eyes are from anemia..Red Cell 6 cc per 100#..give her at least 3 cc Vit B 12

Get a fecal done ASAP..ask for Cocci check as well...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I got this herd about 2 months ago and I don't think they had been managed very well. They all had overgrown hooves and they have only been wormed with pour on ivermec on their back. Fecal samples are on my short list of things to do. The kid is about four months old. I just hope she can hold on tonight. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
electro recipe

Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses Or what you have on hand or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
what color is her poop??

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
any news?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ended up losing both girls. I wormed the rest of the herd with cydectin, which is what the vet told me to do. It has been really wet here in north Carolina for the past few months which has caused bad problems with parasites. I am getting fecal samples done on the rest of my herd an will go from there. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
30,566 Posts
Im sorry. sounds like you are on the right track with a fecal....if more worming needs tobe done grab some Valbazen ( 1 ccc per 10# oraly) or Ivomec PLUS (1 cc per 40# sub Q) These are the only wormers that will also get liver fluke..
again Im sorry for your loss

1 - 12 of 12 Posts