Two more does I'll be getting..

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Kittikity, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    My arrangement at the goat farm has changed slightly.. Instead of getting paid, they are going to trade me some does for my work over the next couple months.. One will, of course, be Bluebell who I was already going to get.. ... ebell3.jpg

The next doe is Blue Velvet.. A blue roan nubian and has the same dad as Bluebell.. I just call her Velvet though.. She's super sweet and is about a year old.. Hasn't been bred yet but the lady said she has excellent genetics.. ... velvet.jpg

The last is a black nubian doe named Primadonna.. Donna for short.. Not as good looking but a good milker and buddies with Velvet.. She's also not related to Velvet which means I'll be able to develop two bloodlines for my kinder herd.. She's also super sweet and about 2 years old.. I've got a pic of her and one of her udder.. She does have two teets but she had a single buckling and he favored one side.. She's dried up on the other side but should fill out really well next time she kids.. Looking forward to seeing her udder then.. Her buckling was the one they sold last week.. Really handsome little fellow.. They're drying her up now that her buckling is gone.. ... /prima.jpg ... audder.jpg

Here they are together.. Pretty much inseperable.. ... velvet.jpg

And here's the snake I almost stepped on when I was taking pictures.. It's a rat snake so I don't believe it's poisonous.. ... /snake.jpg

Let me know what you guys think of the does.. I'm really looking forward to seeing what kids I get out of Velvet.. I won't have them for another 4 or 5 months though so plenty of time to prepare for them.. Bluebell is really coming around friendly wise.. Let's me pet her face with no problem and let me pet her side today without minding at all.. I don't even have to use cookies anymore.. I always make sure to pet her mom too.. That's seems to help reassure Bluebell that I'm a good human..
  2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Nice does you are getting! I like the colors. So, the rear picture of the milking doe was taken after she was starting to dry up?

Congrats on the does! It's always nice to be able to do trades, especially when you get to trade for more goats! ;)

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Congratulations!!! You have some beautiful does coming your way!

Wow, what a snake! Looks like one I found in one of my chicken coops a couple years ago. That one though was striking at us and aggressive! :p
  4. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    Yeah, the rear pic is after she's starting to dry up.. Her buckling was sold last week but I don't know if they milked her after that or not.. I know those aren't the best pics.. They kept moving around and I didn't have anybody to hold them at the time..

That snake was about 6 feet long.. Totally ignored me.. Now that I think of it, I feel very blown off.. lol
  5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Very nice looking girls!! And her udder should be normal when she freshens again...just make sure you keep her even if she singles again..pretty colors too though I think I favor the black and shiny girl. :greengrin:
  6. Crissa

Crissa New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    Cashion, Oklahoma
    Beautiful girls! Although I'm jealous of Primadonna. I ADORE black nubians and I'm hoping to get one eventually. Sure you don't want to trade me for my Heidi? :wink: Just kidding.
  7. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    I actually favor the roan does.. Especially Velvet with the splashes of brown on her.. Although for some reason I also really like black nubians with white ears.. No idea why.. But that's just for colors.. As for conformation, Velvet is, of course, the best of the three.. I might actually have her bred to one of their purebred spotted nubian bucks.. Both Velvet and Donna are american nubians.. Bluebell (nubian/mini-alpine) is going to be bred to one of the spotted bucks, so it'll be interesting to see what will come from a roan and spotted combination.. But I won't be keeping those babies since they will not serve my goals for a kinder herd.. But if I have Velvet bred also, I can keep any hopeful doelings and bring some very interesting colors into the kinder breed.. If I don't get a doeling then I'll consider a buckling.. Not sure.. He'd have to be really exceptional.. Maybe breed him to Donna or get another doe to keep two seperate bloodlines going.. Important since I'll have to have my own bucks since there are no other kinders that I know of in Florida.. I'm still debating to buy one pygmy buck, two pygmy bucks for the bloodlines purpose, or just breed out..
  8. Kittikity

Kittikity New Member

Jun 12, 2008
    A couple better pics of their backsides, sort of.. They were in their stall eating and I didn't have much room to get behind them.. You can see Prima's (formally Donna) other teat and I think Velvet has a really good shape to her.. ... udder2.jpg ... ckside.jpg

I still need to get a pic of the spotted bucks they're going to be bred to.. Their names are Patrick and Leprechaun since they were born on St. Patrick's Day..