The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On July 19th I lost my 16 year old Border Collie, Toby, to a stroke.

When he was a brand new baby my older Border Collie, Trudy, saved his life by not letting me ignore her on a cold, bitter November 7th night on top of a mountain.
His dam, Amber, left him in the middle of a dark, cold dirt road in front of my cabin when she pooped him out like a turd and left him.
Later litters she would do the same with each first pup to enter the world!

Many years later Toby would save me from a rattler when he took the strike meant for me on his nose.

It took me since July to find a male pup that looks so much like him that he could be a twin. Today I went and got my new pup and named him Teo.
He came right to me when I went to see them. And, he crawled up in my lap and licked my face. This is my boy now and I am now the mama bear!

But, he did not come alone. My female Aussie is now 8 and so I figured ... why not. So, I brought home a female litter mate of the male. Her name is Maggie.

My Aussie does NOT like other dogs unless she has been raised around them. She took one look and just fell apart. She has missed Toby so bad that she lays by his grave at night.

She is so great with both of the pups and is already watching them like a hawk. My friends who drove me to get the pups were scared and worried the whole way home. They figured my Aussie would not take to the pups but I knew how lonely she has been without her bud of 8 years so ... I was not worried at all.

I wish I had my camera working but ... believe me when I say ... They are SO CUTE!!

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
355 Posts
losing our loved furry ones is very hard. I'm happy to hear you were able to get new puppies and heal your heart a little. You just reminded me I need to get my BC her rattlesnake booster, thanks!

I love your November 7th story, I bet that was a crazy night for you. Did you have milk or some kind of formula for that first night? I'm happy he survived.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Goats milk to the rescue

Where I lived on top of the mountain there was no power. It was dark and cold and we had every wild animal around up there.
So, when Trudy wanted out I just figured it was mother nature call of duty.
She came in and out over and over and I only had a small wood stove in my room and it was very cold that night.
After she flat refused to shut up and stood outside the door barking I decided it was time to bundle up and head out with my trusty flashlight. I'd been hearing all the weird noises each time I let her in and out but did not even think about it being a puppy. The dam was not due for two days so ...

When I first saw him on the road and Trudy standing next to him I still wasn't sure what the heck it was. Then I saw his white collar and I rushed over and picked him up and ran back to my room. I found a little book box and layed a rag in the bottom, put the pup inside and slid the box under the wood stove.
Then, I went and got the goats milk, an eyedropper and a pan. Warmed it up on my wood stove and feed him. Trudy had pulled him out from under the wood stove and was cleaning him off when I came back with the milk.

During the night Amber, the dam, had 7 more pups ... right under my head under the cabin!
In the morning we placed Toby in with his brothers and sisters and he did great.

·
Registered
637 Posts
thats great-- and that she accepted them as well, pups are just so precious , and they just get better as they age! 2 new faithful friends!!!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pups story ...

When I called the lady about the puppies she told me they were born on a big cattle ranch in the area that belong to her in-laws.
The dam is a totally outside dog and so they did not know for sure where the pups were hidden when first born.
Then, they did find them and counted 10 pups. The dog moved all the pups again and again and each time one or two were missing after the move.
Then, they saw the reason why the dog was constantly moving the pups and saw one of the pups being carried off by a coyote!:eek:
When all was said and done there were four pups and at four weeks the mom was thru. She brought the pups into the barn area and left them there and refused to care for them.

The daughter in law was really upset by this and took the remaining pups into town and kept them at her house. She was the one I bought them from. When she came they were all in a nice clean carrier. She had fresh food and water and they smelled clean and were brushed.
She and I talked for awhile and swapped good dog stories.

Makes me sad to think 6 pups were lost like that. Especially when the two I got are so smart and really sweet pups.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts