Two pregnant does maybe bloat

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Tara76, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I have two pregnant does due in February. Have them
    Cd&t and multimin shots today. Both now standing and one looks bloated. Have three drenches of baking soda so far still uncomfortable. What should I do? They haven’t gotten into any feed they seem very uncomfortable

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  2. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    One seems to be wheezing

3. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    It's possible they are having a vaccine reaction. How many hours has it been? Do you have epinephrine or children's liquid Benadryl on hand?

Bloat would be extremely obvious, their left sides would be EXTREMELY HARD like a basketball and rising above the back. Does this sound right? Bloat would be very unusual due to a vaccine. However, if it sounds right, send someone get a bottle of Bloat Release from the feed store. Meanwhile, put the front feet up on a step/block and massage that left side HARD to encourage them to burp gas.

4. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Get benadryl in the asap..20 cc if possible.

5. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Ok thank you

6. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Does look like the one side is very extended but giving Benedryl

7. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I think I was so nervous I was thinking that it was both but my girl Nilla is eating hay so I think she’s good but my butterscotch I think does have bloat l. She is just standing still...breathing heavy. I gave her Benadryl and baking soda. Sent the man to tractor supply for the other bloat drench. I have been rubbing her side. Is there anything else that can help
    My poor girl. I hate seeing her so uncomfortable. Thank you

8. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    How long should it take after giving bloat drench should she feel better .... rubbing her side has helped with burping but she still seems very uncomfortable

9. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Is she chewing cud? If not, then likely bloated.
    I second the front hooves up. It makes a huge difference. Rub from under her chin down to the chest, both sides of the esophagus. Use your knee to push into the left side. Make her walk. Then repeat. Eventually she should bring up cud.
    Also, room temperature flat dark beer.

GoofyGoat and MellonFriend like this.
  10. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    She is not chewing cud ... I will try what your saying. I do believe it is bloat I just feel so bad

MadHouse likes this.
  11. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    If she really continues to have trouble breathing you are going to have to get a tube into the rumen to let the gas off, or, if she seriously declines and is really not well (I mean, death's door), stab a large diameter needle into the rumen. Obviously a veterinarian would be best for this.

Keep her moving, walking, elevate that front end!

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  12. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thank you .... we did call the vet and he’s not able to come out tonight but told me that we are doing things right thanks to all of your help. We just keep walking her and her breathing does seem okay right now

MadHouse and SalteyLove like this.
  13. SalteyLove

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I don't think your health maintenance activities today caused this bloat so don't feel badly!

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and Tara76 like this.
  14. MadHouse

Good luck! I hope she gets the gas out.
    We also had success hugging from above, with her front feet up, your hands under her belly, below the ribs, giving little pushes and moving towards the udder. Hopefully you will hear her rumen rumbling and then the burp will come. Lie on top of her and put your ear to her side. When you pull up, you will hear the noise from the rumen. Have the other person rub her throat at the same time. That person will hopefully get a great big burp in their face.

Tara76 likes this.
  15. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    All the above is good advice, but in my experience the Aspen brand bloat treatment works great and very quickly. It works within seconds for kids that get frothy bloat.

MadHouse, Kass and Tara76 like this.
  16. Tara76

Tara76 Member

May 13, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Thank you everyone for all of your help.... very sad to tell you, after trying everything we could and thinking she was seemingly feeling a little better our Butterscotch did pass away. She was a great goat thank you again

17. JML Farms

JML Farms Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Booger County Texas
    So heartbreaking! Sorry for your loss.

Tara76 and MadHouse like this.
  18. MadHouse

Oh no, I am so sorry! :hug:

Tara76 likes this.
  19. bisonviewfarm

bisonviewfarm Well-Known Member