The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a Nubian doeling. She is 6 months old. Sweetheart. She is 2 feet tall (at whithers) and weighs 58 pounds. I've been fattening her up over the past month or so with Regular Dumor or Dumor sweet feed (switched out about a week and a half ago) along with beet pulp. She's pretty big (weight wise).

Well, my first question is, what remedies can I use to wean her? That is my ultimate issue. I can't sell her because her and her mom are my only two goats. I can't separate her from her mom either. I live in a urban area. Not one of those 5 foot apart housings, but in close enough housing that separating mom and baby causes police calls due to the mom yelling (she's a Nubian, that's what I get). I have tried taping (doesn't work out since I am going to school every morning and I have to put the mom on the ground which I don't enjoy), the mom is bred and still allows it, I have tried apple bitters, which only got me sour hands all day and I had to taste it with every meal and lick of the lips (wiped my mouth on accident, though I thought I didn't have it on my hands anymore) :p . Nothing is working to deter this goat, and I can't get a "booby net" as I call it. What else could I do to deter her?

Now my second question, which is why I included weight at the beginning. We know someone with a small Nigerian Dwarf buck. He's a cute thing, and has already sired one kid. I'd really like to have 2 milking moms in spring. I have one person in line for a doeling. Do yall think I could breed her to this small buck safely? He isn't even bulky, just fat (like her).

For those who are expecting pictures from me, I am working on them now!

·
Super Moderator
58,914 Posts
6 months old is too young and 50 some pounds is way to small. The doeling should be a minimum of 8 months old and 80 lbs.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
I agree with Karen that she is too young/small... 75lbs is the lowest weight I have heard... And 6months is still just a Baby...

I'm not sure on the weaning.. I have always just separated them... You could always bottle raise your next kids so that the weaning is easier :)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I agree with Karen that she is too young/small... 75lbs is the lowest weight I have heard... And 6months is still just a Baby...

I'm not sure on the weaning.. I have always just separated them... You could always bottle raise your next kids so that the weaning is easier :)
Okay then I won't breed her, not a problem. And I was already planning on that with the next kids, the neighbors will just have to deal with screamy mama then, I don't want these unloving kids again (this doeling wouldn't let me get within 10 feet of her once she hit 2 days old, it took me forever to get her height and weight just a little while ago).

·
Registered
212 Posts
Honestly if you are breeding the dam, and the weight of the dam is okay, you don't need to stress about weaning her.

Once her mother is pregnant, most of the does will slowly wean their kids and their production drops off. Most of our kids are dam raised, and until we need to dry the mom up early or we are worried about weight on the mom, we will let her wean her kids slowly as fall comes. Most dry up on their own.
6 weeks before her dam is due to kid again - try putting her in the crate for the night (in the garage so the noise will be muffled) and see if her mom fills up. Chances are she will not, and if she still does, perhaps we can try some other things then, but for now, I would not stress too much.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Honestly if you are breeding the dam, and the weight of the dam is okay, you don't need to stress about weaning her.

Once her mother is pregnant, most of the does will slowly wean their kids and their production drops off. Most of our kids are dam raised, and until we need to dry the mom up early or we are worried about weight on the mom, we will let her wean her kids slowly as fall comes. Most dry up on their own.
6 weeks before her dam is due to kid again - try putting her in the crate for the night (in the garage so the noise will be muffled) and see if her mom fills up. Chances are she will not, and if she still does, perhaps we can try some other things then, but for now, I would not stress too much.
For one, we don't have a garage (our house did, but previous owners turned it into a den) and it's mom who's yell wakes everyone. I have a disabled brother and dad as well, so even if we could do that, it wouldn't be able to pull through without me having to shut them up some how. I've heard of other ways to deter a doeling from nursing, and that's all I'm looking for. I may not be able to even bottle feed next year depending on when the mom kids, so I'm looking for what to do next year as well if I have to.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Can you put up a separating fence? If they are just on other sides of the fence, the doeling can't nurse, but mama can still see and smell her. Don't know if your situation will allow for that tho....
I can but she still screams. I can't separate them, that's it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
If taping hasn't worked, and applying stuff to the udder hasn't helped then you could try getting something called a goat bra. I got one from Hoeggers, and it worked but my doe would rub on the fence and that would cause it to slide off till it came off. And then of course my doeling would get milk from her. It did help get my doeling to stop drinking as much as she did before, but it never helped in completely weaning her. My doe just ended up doing that on her own. If you don't have to wean though I wouldn't. It was a pain for me to do and the only reason I did it was because my does daughter was getting too fat drinking from her mom all the time. There really is no easy quiet way to wean unless mom does it herself.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I may just end up separating them. We are installing a new gate to separate our two backyards (we have a front and back backyard) and since the doeling keeps weight well I'll keep her back there with plenty of hay. All the grass for some reason tastes bad to them in winter, so it won't be much if a change anyway. My neighbors will just have to live with the yelling. I'll do it on a weekend to help out. Thanks everyone.

·
2,203 Posts
I don't feel as if 6 or 7 months is too young. This is when we first start breeding the non-show does. Show does we hold off till we feel necessary. We do not have a weight limit anymore, however we do have a minimum set for withers/hooks, barrel circumference, and pin width.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I mean my thought was if I bred her to a small breed (e.g. Smaller Nigerian or a Pygmy) she could kid. She is already on high fat feed which is keeping her weight up. But we are still deciding.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
To me age comes second to weight, although I do have a minimum breeding age. Best case scenario I want to wait to10 months. I don't want to breed a doe at 7mo or younger. But I really look at the weight. I have minis so I want them to be at least 40pounds and pretty wide and grown up looking. If your doeling is keeping weight on that's awesome but I would still give her a little more time to grow. Weight is only half the battle. :p. that's just how I've been doing my breedings though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Like I said I am still deciding but will most likely not breed her. The only buck in the area we had access to who was a small Registered Nigerian Dwarf I found out passed away from Cocci. So we may not even be able to. How her dam was bred? She is bred to a Fainting Buck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts