The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When someone puts a deposit down on a goat, is there any certain paperwork from the ADGA that I can use as a partial bill of sale, or whatever it is that I want? Or should I just do something by hand?

Also, she wants the baby tattooed. I thought I just got the stuff at a local feedstore, but didn't see anything like that? Do I have to get the lettering and numbers from ADGA? Or was I just having a case of the dumb, and just couldn't find it?
THanks

·
2,203 Posts
When someone puts a deposit down on a goat, is there any certain paperwork from the ADGA that I can use as a partial bill of sale, or whatever it is that I want? Or should I just do something by hand?

Also, she wants the baby tattooed. I thought I just got the stuff at a local feedstore, but didn't see anything like that? Do I have to get the lettering and numbers from ADGA? Or was I just having a case of the dumb, and just couldn't find it?
THanks
You can use a bill of sale and include whatever notes you wish on it. For deposit, you can also keep personal records. Just attach a copy of whatever you use when the animal leaves.

Your farm supply should have a tattoo pliers, numbers, and letter kit. You also need to register your herd with the ADGA prior to tattoo, they assign you a herd tattoo you MUST use. You do have a choice, but personally tattoo doesn't really matter to me as long as it's mine. Don't tattoo without your official tattoo. Technically it's also illegal to sell an animal without proper identification (tag, tattoo, papers if applicable). If I were to get caught selling kids without tattoo or scrapes tag (I don't tag, just tattoo) I'd face charges.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not a single one of the goats I have bought had tattoos Lol. Yeah, I do have my registered tattoo, so thats taken care of. Thank you for your response! We don't have to do scrapes here thankfully. I would feel bad putting a huge tag on those tiny ears! lol.

·
2,203 Posts
Always follow federal law(s) as well. I own registered breeding stock, so all mine have to be tattooed regardless.

·
Administrator
84,608 Posts
Every time, any breeder sells a registered or registerable goat, it must match the paperwork you give to the buyers. So they must be tattooed.

If the goat is not registered, or registerable, that animal must go with a scrapies tag, even if it is to an Auction.

Anytime I sell a goat out of state, I get a health certificate for the goat/ buyer the buyer, pays for it and I will also give a scrapies tag with them for a registerable/registered, tattooed goat for GP.
We do not put it in the ear, but will tell the buyer to bring the gun with them, in case they are stopped at a check point and they insist, the goat be tagged with the scrapies tag.;)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Scrapies generally allows your adga tatoo for scrapies id. It a simple phone call to usda and they will assign your tatoo right then. Also if you show be sure to follow their rules. This will also help keep other diseases out of your herd. We use plywood seperater panels to prevent any nose to nose contact. This is outline on page 34 part iv of the booklet the usda will send you.
As fa as the tatoo kits they are available at tractor supply. The kit comes with numbers but the letters are sold separately.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I believe that if your goats aren't tattooed they aren't properly registered...at the very least they can't be shown. You need to get them registered with the ADGA so you can get the numbers/letters you need to tattoo on their ear or their tail web. If you are selling out of state you will need to provide a scrapies/premise tag(I don't know about dairy goats, but I know Boers still need the tags to cross state lines).They sell tattoo kits on many websites(jeffer's for example) and feed stores.
For unregistered, simple sales, all you need is proof of sale and such, but for registered animals its a bit more complicated because of all the papers and procedures :)
I think that deposits don't really require anything official, they are more for the benefit of the seller. I think that personal records of who deposited what on who would be more than sufficient :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts