Two seperate issues i can use a little advise on.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Special ed, Dec 6, 2010.

1. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    First, one of our Does has a scur that she injured a week ago. Seems like it is split down the middle like you would split a log and bleeds from the split. The first day we cleaned it best we could and sprayed some Blu-kote. It was fine for a day but than it seem if she bumps it, it starts to seep blood from the crack? Anything we can do to stop the bleeding permenetly or do we just have to wait and keep it sprayed and cleaned?

Second, one of our weathers has a sore his lip. Its on the right side in the corner and looks pretty tender like a fever blister or herpies. He appears to be eating fine and behaving ok. Is there anything we should be giving him?

Thanks in adavnce. :thumb:

Eddie

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If the scur is open enough around the tip to put a castrating band over, then banding it close to her head will allow it to fall off and it will also help with the bleeding problem now.

The sore on your wether could be from rough hay, or if you check all other herdmembers to be sure none have blisters, it would rule out "soremouth".
    If the others are ok, then you can treat it with a triple antibiotic ointment

3. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I was going to say the same about thwe mouth, but the horn I can not help on.
    I would really keep a eye on the mouth. It is a nasty thing that goes around.

4. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I just read up on SoreMouth and hope thats not it but I will need to check the rest of the herd for it as well.

Thanks for the advice!

5. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

you may also want to make sure your doe is up to date on tetanus. I would just keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get infected. An antibiotic spray should help & if you have any blood stop powder you could sprinkle that on also. If you don't have blood stop powder..I think you can use either corn starch or baking powder--you'd have to research it though as I always forget. The castrating band on the scur may help hold it together at the tip making it harder for blood to ooze out..duct tape could probably help this situation also. I would also try to band at the base at the scur to get rid of the scur completely otherwise, this may end up being a reoccurring situation.

6. Hidden Waters Farm

Hidden Waters Farm New Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Maine
    I dont know if cobwebs are advisable but my grandparents familys all used them and they worked. I have also heard of liquid glue because it seals. These are to be used as the only last options as they are not very medical.

7. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    I am thinking about using the band on the scur. As pointed out it would be killing two birds with one stone.

Thanks for the advice.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Looks like ....you received ..great advice...from everyone..... good luck...... :hug:

9. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Well our Doe with the scur issue is going well. We didnt band it but it hasn't bleed for a few days.

However we think our weather has SoreMouth (as mentioned by Liz when i first posted), the sore has scabbed over already and our Doe appears to have a little sign of what the weather had originally when we first noticed it. :(

We think it was brought in by our buck who had a small scab on his rear when we purchased him about a month ago but assumed it was a small cut. But than again i read that the virus can live for up to two years on a scab and the familiy that owned the house before us had a herd of goats as well maybe something they left behind?

Anyone have any suggestions for SoreMouth? I read it's best to let it do its thing and make sure there are no signs of side effects or secondary infections.

10. Special ed

Special ed New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Well looks like they all got SoreMouth except our buck who we thought might have brought it in? Ah well they are still eating and behaving normally. Our youngest daughter is sad since we asked her not to hang out with the goats until it clears up...maybe a month?

11. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    I know it's a pain, but at least it will pass. I think I have seen someone say here that once it goes through the herd they will all be immune to it. So when it's over it will be over.

Jan

12. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yes...it is a pain to deal with but it will run it's course. Be sure to wash your hands well after touching them or anything they have touched. The course is a few weeks and you are right, watch to be sure they aren't suffering from any secondary infections.