Two Sick Goats-Help Please!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by doneroamingacres, Aug 8, 2008.

1. doneroamingacres

doneroamingacres New Member

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    Hello Everyone! :wave:
    We took our goats to the local fair last week and before we went one of our 2 month old pygmy mix got sick and had diahrea, so sadly we couldn't take her :cry: After seperating her from her mother her diahrea went away, but it's started coming back and our 5 month old nigerian dwarf doeling, pepper got sick as well. Pepper has diahrea, acts like she's in a daze, has lost lots of weight and she has a goopy eye thats only half open. Pepper was taken to the fair and got sick right after and wasn't herself at the show. What do you think we should do? The vet is coming over, but he doesn't know much about goats. Also what should we get our goats tested for, we were told we needed to test them at least once a year for certian diseases, but what diseases and what tests? Thank You so much!
    Kelsey

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    do you have temperatures?, its easier to diagnose the problem if we have temps. many breeders test for CAE, CL, Johnes.

3. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I would suggest taking their temps, and having a fecal done to see what you are dealing with, I'm suspecting coccidia.

4. doneroamingacres

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    This may sound weird, but we haven't yet gotten an animal thermoter so I dont know their temp.

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    do you have a human thermometer that you dont want anymore? you could try that.

6. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    If you scroll down on this forum to my earlier post "Need help again!" you will see lots of good advice about treating coccidia, which is what I would suspect first. I have finally gotten my little guy through it, but it's been a long haul. Yours sounds quite sick and I would have a fecal done as soon as possible. Did the vet come?

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    ABSOLUTELY have fecals run!! The sooner you get a diagnosis the better and faster you can start treatment....too many goats lose their lives without having fast acting treatment for coccidia....and it can infect older kids as well...not just weeks old babies.

8. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    A regular human thermometer will work, you just probably won't want to use it for yourself again. :)

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I use a human digital thermometer....and if you don't know this, a goats normal temp range is 101-103.5 higher than that indicates a fever and antibiotics should be started as well as electrolytes to decrease dehydration. And something I found out this past spring...a black goat will have a higher temp than a light colored goat so if you can take the temp in the evening after the heat of the day, you'll get a more accurate reading and can medicate accordingly.

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The goopy eyes along with the diarreha tell me cocci and worms. You'll probably want to get some Sulmet from your vet if he has it. Some probiotics would be good too.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Coccidia is my guess to.

Get some Albon from the vet or use Sulmet from the feed store.

12. alyssa_romine

alyssa_romine Breaking Dawn Ranch

Oct 4, 2007
    arkansas
    I too think cocci...I use sulmet and pepto also make sure they drink lots of water or electrolytes, with runny poo and heat, the will dehydrate fast.

13. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    What's the latest on your kids? Are they better? Enquiring minds want to know..

14. doneroamingacres

Jan 28, 2008
    Sayre,PA
    Sorry I haven't got back too you sooner. Good news and bad, it is cocci, and the one goat small fry is getting better, but anotherone is getting sick, and pepper is getting worse. The temp was 102, normal, but when the vet weighed pepper, she had lost 10 lbs in almost a month! So where giving her banamine (sp) and some other cocci medicine. Any more sugestions would be helpful. Thanks!
    Kelsey

15. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    what did the vet give you for the cocci?

I would make sure she stays hydrated. So flavor the water if you have to.

16. goatmama2

goatmama2 New Member

Oct 20, 2007
    Upstate New York
    I went to my local drugstore and bought a children's medicine syringe...it has a bulb on one end and a good sized plastic tube. I used it to give Caper pedialyte so I could be sure it was going down the hatch. I gave him as much as he'd take (a couple of tubes full) and then a little while later gave him more, throughout the day. Fluids are essential to save your little guy, they tend not to drink much water. If you buy the unflavored, you could add a little molasses, but get something into him/her as often as possible!