The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought a few Nigerian Dwarves a couple years ago, and love them - especially the milk!
A Nigerian-Pygmy doe we got from a friend last fall delivered a couple bucklings six weeks ago, and one of them has a two-toned horn! We've heard of goats having one horn of each color, but I couldn't find any pictures of goats with a multi-colored horn. Is it that unusual?
Patches.jpg Patches-1.jpg Patches and Puzzle.jpg

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Yes, super-cute, both of them! I have had several with two-coloured horns. The strip follows the horn as it grows.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Then we can hope to get more like that (sooner or later) - great! Every Google search I could think of was turning up nothing.
We like horns to begin with, and really love how this horn is looking, but I need to do a lot more fencing before we are interested in keeping any wethers around.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Only remember that wethers have narrower horns than fertile bucks, so a possible strip might stay outside the growing area of the horn.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep. On this one, the horn is (so far) almost perfectly split between colors. If he was full ND, we'd probably keep him intact (and build some new pens to keep him far away from our current buck). At 3/4 ND 1/4 Pygmy, though... I think best to just turn him into a pet for someone.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
5102A8C5-05BC-48DD-A570-191C1E33BB4E.jpeg
A0CFDA01-96D8-407F-A246-D11318E189C0.jpeg
Here is Jersey with his two toned horn.
DAC45654-7FBB-4977-A3BF-1CB7ED13082B.jpeg

He is a 10 months old wether, but wasn't fully wethered until he was 5.5 months old. I think that's why he has the wide horns.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts