The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I have 1 soon to be 3 baby dwarf Nigerians. the cat is stuck in the goat pen with the one that I got yesterday as a herd mate for now he seems to be sufficient. I pick up the other two today. I have a few questions about bottle feeding and some other things:

Where do these tiny babies sleep at night? I had the one goat in a medium size dog kennel outside in the goat pen last night w a towel and he seemed to like that. I would probably put all three in there. How much do I need to worry about them being cold? He was a little shivery so I put a blanket on him but I think he'd be good with the others in there?

They are being bottle fed, not really my choice I'd rather have them w mom but they were the goats I wanted and the woman was not okay keeping them and was going to sell them to someone else. Bottle feeding seems fine, cut a regular baby nipple like recommended by fias co but it seems to be a little bit fast flow? idk. He has to drink really fast. He seems to be getting the hang of if okay. Also I'm bottle feeding before work, after and then before bed. How much per feeding? He just had 5oz.

I do notice a little teeth grinding? He was just disbudded yesterday so maybe he was in pain. It really seems similar to the cud thing that the adult goats do but I don't know if he's old enough to even do that? On that same note do I offer grass hay or alfalfa or grain to experiment with during the day? Doesn't seem very interested in water either.

Just new!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
How old? So you had one before and now you have 2 more right?

I usually use the pritchered teat nipples when bottle feeding, never had a problem with the milk flowing to fast.

Are you using a milk replacer, or whole milk? Depending on how old they are they may or may not have much interest in anything other then the bottle to drink.

As far as sleeping goes, I would put hay, or straw in the kennel, and let them all cozy up together, usual they will like that.

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Grinding teeth is not normal, and usually indicates pain. Are they exhibiting any other symptoms at all? Eating drinking, going to the bathroom?

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My little guy started to "grind his teeth" I thought, turned out he was just starting to chew his little cud, hopefully that's all it is, but if it really is grinding of the teeth. Yeah, that's really not good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He doesn't have a fever, normal activity level, eating normally, has peed about every 3 hours or so it seems so, I want to think it's cud but just checking to be sure. They were born on the 26th of September.

I started with milk from the goats mom right now and I'm picking up a gallon from her doe sister today.

Okay hay in the kennel sounds good. :)

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
Okay, they won't be interested in a whole lot as far as eating goes except the bottle for at least another week or maybe longer. My little wether kinder didn't start getting interested in grain, or hay until 3 weeks or so. I'm going to say it's chewing the cud... I was panicked when Beebop my little guy did that..., I called my friend that helps me with blood draws etc... and she asked does he do it often... Yep... Does he seem relaxed while he's doing it... Yep.... He's learning to chew his cud. He is 2 months today, and boy he's much more quire about it..:) Do you have pics of your little guys?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i doubt that it is cud chewing at 11 days.. could be pain from disbudding. give a baby aspirin or childrens ibuprofen NOT tylenol. i think you should feed a less amount more often. is he drinking the full 5oz? i would do 4 oz 4x /day. you may want to get another baby bottle and cut the holes smaller. keep him on does milk if possible i think milk replacer is baaaaad!!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
My little Beebop was chewing cud at a week... Or shall I say attempting too:) I missed where it stated he just got disbudded yesterday..., baby asprin, so then if it's not cudding it will be some pain relief..., because that would be the pain culprit.

I agree, keep him on goats milk if you can. I personally have never had any issues with milk replacer, but I do crush a lactaid pill up, and add probiotics to the first bottle of the day..., but real milk is best...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Where do these tiny babies sleep at night? I had the one goat in a medium size dog kennel outside in the goat pen last night w a towel and he seemed to like that. I would probably put all three in there. How much do I need to worry about them being cold?
Once they reach about 48 hours old they can regulate their temperature, but they will still get cold if it's cold out. Try draping the dog kennel with a heavy blanket or towel to trap their body heat in addition to the towel on the bottom. I do that with a large cat carrier and it works beautifully - even in sub-zero temperatures! They won't be very interested in water until they get big enough to start nibbling at hay and grain because the milk provides enough water for now. I keep it out for them anyway.

As for how much to feed, weigh them and convert their weight to ounces. Multiply that by 10-12%, and divide by 4. Feed that amount 4 times a day. So if your babies weigh 6 lbs, 6 X 16 = 96. 96 X 11% = 10.56, round up to 11. 11 / 4 = 2.75 ounces per feeding. After you feed them, stand them up and stand over them facing the same direction. Put 2 fingers of each hand on their tummies just in front of their hip bones. You want to feel firm, not hard or squishy. Adjust the milk accordingly. All the best with your babies! :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay great! Thank you for the replies. I will try to feed them less more often, but I also work so that makes for weird timing. I could probably figure out a way to get them a bottle after work and then before bed and then maybe twice instead of just once in the morning...hmm my goats seem to like to sleep from sun down to sun up. I could also probably get a neighbor to help since this wont be 4 bottles for too long.

The little guy seems better no teeth grinding and the two new ones that were dehorned on Saturday seem to have no pain. They have yellow on their disbudded patches tho.. I forgot to ask the guy but figured it was bloodstop powder? My first little goat didnt have any on his but is headbutting with the rest so I think it probably feels okay.

I do have the kennel covered now.

http://cdn.thegoatspot.net/images/1/6/0/3/7/img_0159-1190.jpg
http://cdn.thegoatspot.net/images/1/6/0/3/7/img_0160-1191.jpg

Here are the three playing together

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I am different from many others on my bottle babies. I absolutely HATE having them. LOL When necessary tho, I only do 3 bottles a day for a couple weeks and then move to 2 bottles...1 morning, 1 night. You shouldn't have to increase the number of times per day you feed them as they get older, but rather decrease. Keep some hay and a tiny amount of grain/feed out for them at all times....water too. They will nibble on it whether you see them or not. I've seen 3 day old babies chew on corn husks that have blown in. As soon as they are eating grain and hay quite well, you can wean them off the bottle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts