The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help from you Oregon natives! We have this plant in our goat pen that they just go crazy for. It hasn't affected them any that I can see, but I want to make sure it isn't poisonous. It has stems like bamboo, but it branches off and has different leaves. I thought it was knotweed but it doesn't have purple spots, and it has different branches than I've seen on the knotweed, which seems to have short, thin limbs, like sticks, while the plant I have actually branches off looking exactly like the stem. The goats eat everything on it, once they are done with the leaves they go for the stems, which appear to be very juicy. It's about 5-6 ft tall...however I've seen other stems that were about 1-2 feet tall, that had either been run over by a mower, or the goats ate it down. Anyone have any idea of what this is? Pics wouldn't really help now since the goats devoured it...wish I could get some though. Thank you for any info!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks like sumac...also known as tree of heaven. If you rub the leaves does it smell real stinky? Here are some pics...so you can see the similarities.

Tree-of-Heaven: Tree-of-heaven's leaves are composed of 11-41 leaflets that have mostly smooth margins, with the exception of two or more teeth at the leaf base. These teeth are tipped with small, raised glands on the underside of the leaf. When the leaves are crushed or broken from the tree, they give off a smell of rancid peanut butter. The rachis is green or slightly red, but not as bright red as it is on poison sumac. Tree-of-heaven may be confused with poison sumac while it is a sapling, but it will eventually grow into a 60-foot-tall tree.

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
The one I posted is Elderberry. Just trying to go off her description. That gives her a couple to look at though.:)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Yeah, but they look real similar we must think alike! I posted the Tree-of-Heaven as we have that AND Japanese knotweed and they both start off looking similar however the TOH doesn't have the purple spots she mentioned.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The stems are green, they look almost exactly like bamboo except not at dense and aren't hollow. I forget if the leaves are leaflets or not...I don't think so, but they may be. I actually found quite a bit of knotweed scattered around my horse's pasture, and it has completely different leaves, not to mention the flowery things and the purple spots. Maybe it's a species/type of knotweed?

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No I don't think so...the leaves looked like normal wide leaves I think..I don't believe they were long and skinny like that. I wonder what it could be :scratch:

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
Well, I found an unexpected Honeybee nest in my back yard while I was looking for bamboo stems :eek:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lol! We just got rid of a huge bee nest that was located in our roof....they were just honey bees so weren't aggressive. Was still creepy though :p

·
I'm watching you
22,271 Posts
These are up in my Hawthorne tree out of the way really. I'll just leave them if they continue to be nice. We walked right up under the nest and they didn't even come to look at us. If they start causing problems, I'll get rid of them then. Honeybees are too rare anymore to not let them be.

I'm working on going hiking this weekend. If I get to go I'll look for your bamboo stems.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you! We would have left the nest in our roof alone except for the fact that the bees were managing to get in our house! Luckily the scouts died before they could get back to the hive, so they never actually made their home in ours :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts