Typical weight in 2 month old?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I;m just curious what the typical weight is for a nubian doeling, 2 months, was born a triplet.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Probably around 25 lbs, I would say....could easily weigh more but I would not want to see much less than that. Typically the goal is the birth weight plus 10lbs each month with full-sized dairy goats.

3. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    is that for a meat goat or dairy?

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she said fullsized dairy goats ;)

5. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Yep, that's for dairy goats. This is just a general guide line--individual goats may have slightly different growth curves. If you have a goat that is significantly below the goal weight for its age, though, it is a good idea to run a fecal test to see if parasites are an issue.

6. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Sorry! LOL! I was heading out and quickly wanted to varify, I must have been more focused on the numbers lol!

She is probably right there at the 25+ weight. I haven't weighed her for over a week and she was 23 then. I need to weigh her again. She did had a fecal a couple weeks ago and it was clear of worms!!! (she was living in my basement, though lol!)

FunnyRiverFarms, Thanks so much for the help! Not only does it help right now but for future months as well! I wanted to make sure she was on target, and she is the first nubian I have had so I had nothing to compare too! She was also a triplet so I thought she might be small. I know that they are supposed to be 80 pounds before breeding and I have just been wondering if she is gaining enough each month to be able to breed in the fall.

No worries, though! She is a very healthy baby, hasn't been sick at all!!! Happy and rambunctious!!!