The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vet just left our boy Gruff has UC, we are trying to get him through this but it is scar. I keeps wrenching and posturing to pee but to no avail.
He is on meloxacan, B1 injections and Ammonium chloride drench.
this is our first time giving pills and drenching our goats sure would like some help and advice on getting the AC solution in! Not really cooperating on this.

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
For the AC drench, I add in a water flavor packet. I use propel mixed berry flavor. All my boys like it.
also give him high doses of vitamin c chewables or gummies, they really help.

For the pill, you can either dissolve it in warm water and using a syringe in the corner of his mouth drench it...or my favorite is either sticking it in a fig newton or crushed in two ritz crackers held together by peanut butter.
Then there’s always using whole oats mixed with peanut butter, corn flour and molasses into treat balls...
Get creative with treats, you’ll get it in him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For the AC drench, I add in a water flavor packet. I use propel mixed berry flavor. All my boys like it.
also give him high doses of vitamin c chewables or gummies, they really help.

For the pill, you can either dissolve it in warm water and using a syringe in the corner of his mouth drench it...or my favorite is either sticking it in a fig newton or crushed in two ritz crackers held together by peanut butter.
Then there’s always using whole oats mixed with peanut butter, corn flour and molasses into treat balls...
Get creative with treats, you’ll get it in him.
Thanks for your quick reply. Just went on down to check in with Gruffy, he took some warm water his favorite in the evening and then got up and walked over to me, postured and peed just a little dribble. Going to try warm compress to see if we can’t move this along bette.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
The Monkhood
3,094 Posts
I picked up a drench syringe today, we gave that a go first 50cc went reasonably well. Then could not get the tip back in his mout, noway no how.
Any suggestions on this?
You may need to grasp the lower jaw, or the upper part of the muzzle and squeeze your thumb and middle finger together until the mouth opens slightly. Careful of the back teeth, they are sharp as the dickens and it will draw blood if the goat bites down on your fingers. Put the tip of the drenching syringe into the left back corner of his mouth through the gap, make sure it goes past the tongue and towards the throat. You may need to restrain him, if a small sized goat, straddle him, facing the same direction. For a larger size goat, wrap one arm around his neck to hold him, and drench with the other hand. Since he is clamping his jaws closed, a larger goat (and maybe some smaller goats) may need 2 people, one to hold him while the other gives the drench.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
🌈. Today Gruff passed from another battle with UC. We now are faced with what to do with Scape his half brother another wether. We know he should not be left alone for long and we are considering a companion.
Could he be paired with a female or should we be looking for another wether?

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
I'm sorry you lost Gruff. A female companion is fine for Scape.

·
Super Moderator
32,237 Posts
It may take some getting used to each other time..introduce them with supervision and make sure the new goat has a safe pen to be in If either seem aggressive toward the other. Some just need more time to relax. Make sure the new companion is of the same size or a little bigger to hod their own. With the intro. We allow some battering as they work things out but if any get violent we separate for a time.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I’m so sorry. Watching a goat suffer with UC and trying everything you possibly can is one of the toughest things anyone can possibly deal with, when raising goats. The ups and downs thinking he might be getting better just for them to get blocked again messes with you mentally and emotionally. I’m so sorry you lost your baby

·
Registered
3,794 Posts
I'm so sorry you lost Guff. Wethers can get along fine with females, but I would recommend trying to find a wether if you can. One of the problems with having a female around is that they come into heat and it can actually trigger unpleasant buck-like behavior from your wether. It can also be hard keeping a female who isn't bred and some of them will develop precocious udders and such. Despite their risk for UC, wethers are usually easier to keep than does. But sometimes the only companion you can find is female and that's ok too.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts