The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughters show goat is normally "a dog" jumps up on the fence when you come near, wags his tail, runs and jumps... etc, just like a dog would do. Well the other night we had taken him to a friends house to have his DNA pulled and his ear tag put in for the State Fair, he was there for a few hours. We got him home and was leading him to his pen and I noticed he kept stretching out like he needed to Pee. I looked closer and he was trying to pee but never did. His tail was twitching too and he was just very sluggish. We called the person we purchased him from and he said for an immediate treatment to drench him with a beer. So we did. (This was like 10pm and our Vet is not a 24 hour vet) I kept checking on him all through out the night. No change. So yesterday morning we took him to the vet. The vet put him to sleep and removed the stones (crystals). He stayed at the vet overnight to be on an IV for dehydration. We got to bring him home this morning. He is peeing, but its just dribbling. Its not a full stream. But he will Pee (dribble) several times in a 1-2 min time span. He kinda acts like he is sore possibly from the stone removal... anyways, he still is just moping around. He ate two pieces of bread (a treat we give him) and then he ate a little of his food. He was up walking around this evening a little more, but still not himself. Could the reason for this be from all the med the Vet game him? (Sedation med, muscle relaxers, and inflamatories) or is there more wrong with him possibly??

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
No more bread either. Depending on what you are feeding him, bread products can really upset the calcium/ phosphorus ratio.
Ammonium chloride is definetely needed and keep watching him. Sometimes, the stones at the end, are just some of the total stones. More can be caught up higher in the "plumbing" and will get stuck again...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have ordered some ammonium chloride. Hoping it comes in soon. No one around me sells it. Talked to vet and he said he acts like he may have a UTI so I'm headed there to pick up some meds for him. Right now he is eating just hay trying to get his minerals or what not back on track.

·
1,384 Posts
you can mix a powder called "Fruit Fresh" into some lemon juice and give him that 2 or 3 times a day until your ammonia chloride comes in. It is a powder for keeping fruit from turning brown, it is very acidic.

Then I would give him, Antibiotics(watch out for withdrawal), dexamethasone(a steroid you get from vet) and banamine. but pay attention to Withdrawal times.

Once you get him treated for 5 days with the ammonia chloride, slowly put him back on grain and come up with a plan to drench him daily with Ammonia chloride until the show. long term dosages needs to be lesser amounts than short term dosages. You can search ammonia Chloride for Goats and come up with dosage charts on-line.
Important for him to keep drinking lots of fresh water, and no more snacks, just his show feed. and grass hay until the fair.

·
1,524 Posts
Just for the record, beer is about the worse thing you can give an animal with UC, it makes their bladder even fuller.

AC daily is about the best way along with a balanced calcium/phos ratio of 2.5:1 or 3:1 is even better. Grass hay and grains (and bread) are mostly phosphorus, so his balance is way out of whack, which causes the crystals.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We got the Ammonium Chloride in and drenched him last night, his dribble went to a small almost steady stream with in about 30 minutes time, We have taken all feed away and just giving him hay and water right now. We also are giving him Dex shots (2 times a day) per the vet. Late last night, Went out to check on him and give him his dex shot and he was peeing a good dribble (still a dribble, but it was a steady dribble...so improvement!!) Went out this morning to check on him and give him his dex shot and AC drench and he is so out of it. He is just standing there. Not walking around. He would nibble on the hay just a little. We gave him his dex shot and ofcourse he took off to the other side of the pen. We drenched him and he hasnt moved out of the same spot. He is still releasing fluids via dribble but its a little dribble now. Unlike last night. Why would he being going backwards like this? Should I be giving him something else?? The AC drench I did was 1 1/2 teaspoons in 2 1/2 cups of warm water.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
he could have released another stone...I would Call your vet and discuss further action....If he's not eating well I would also be giving Thiamine or fortified B complex..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We took him back to the vet this morning and it wasn't good news. He did an ultra sound and he had complete blockage up in his bladder. It was a big stone and he did that there was nothing that he could do for him. His bladder was really full and it was only a matter of hours before it burst. We had to have him put down. A very devistating day around my house. The vet did tell me that he was almost guaranteed to have stones bc his uretha was unusually extra small.

Rip Chuckie!

Attachments

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
Im very sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts