Udder Balm Suggestions..Congested Udder :(

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sunshinegoat, Mar 9, 2013.

1. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    One of my doe who recently kidded has a congested udder. I have been using warm compresses and massaging her several times a day. I also have been giving her 5- 500 mg Vitamin C..She is getting better slowly (I hope)
    This has been for the past 24 hours. Does anyone have any suggestions for udder balms that are generally sold at feed stores. I would order something but would like to get this doe some relief asap. Tomorrow is Sunday and the PO lost my last order so I really want to be able to grab something for her.
    Thanks

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    okay thanks.. If I can get my chores done before I need to go to work I will try my feed store. If not there is a TSC about 50 mins from here and I can make the trip after work.
    Thanks so much!

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Congestion usually seems to peak at about 48 hours after the birth and gradually gets better over a couple of weeks in most cases. Just keep doing what you are doing. If you can't get the peppermint cream, Vicks vapor rub will help too. In the past, I have made hot compresses out of disposable diapers (saturated with water and microwaved to heat) and put a dab of Vicks or a few drops of peppermint oil and held it on the udder for 15 mins or so.

If her kids are with her they will help out as well by nursing frequently so there is less pressure on her udder...this will help keep her milk production up until the swelling decreases.

If you have had other does with this issue, you may want to re-assess your feeding practices. In my herd, the congestion was caused by feeding too much protein...I have had many fewer problems after switching to a 12% protein grain mixture. Some does just seem prone to it and diet doesn't make a huge difference but most of the time the problem is dietary.

5. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    thanks...I started feeding alfalfa pellets about a month ago. Her udder got bigger but I thought she was just bagging up getting ready to kid. Before she kidded it got HUGE and has pretty much stayed that way. I noticed this wasn't normal when the kids we about 1 1/2 days old.
    I've stopped the alfalfa pellets on everyone as I was thinking maybe it was too much. Their poops were clumpy so I wormed them a little earlier than scheduled and hopeful they will return to normal with the feed cut back and the worming. Everyone kidded within the last 2 weeks so that's what I was thinking the clumpy poops were from but after a while it didnt go away so I cut out the alfalfa.

We shall see though. Thanks for the help :)

6. RedGate

RedGate New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    NW, AL
    I doubt the alfalfa is causing issues with her udder. its really important for a doe making milk to get enough calcium, so Alfalfa pellets are a great staple if your not feeding alfalfa hay (or peanut)... It is pretty rich though, so I like to build them up to higher portions of alfalfa slowly. Could that have been the cause of the clumpy poop? Has this girl been tested for CAE?

7. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I was told she is cae free. I have seen her kids from last year who were healthy and she show no other symptoms.. I did the "at home" mastitis test before I posted to rule that out. According to that test she doesn't have mastitis...from what I can see it's just congestion.
    When I got her last summer she was in w/ her buck kid who was still nursing.. (4 months old I think) She was in the process of weaning him (the lady was not milking her) so her udder was on the small side. This time it is way bigger than it was when she was nursing her kid..the point being that her udder has not always been like this..
    It seems to be getting better. As I said before, it has only been a few days at this point and there is definitely more "play" in the udder as of this evening.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  8. RedGate

RedGate New Member

Dec 7, 2012
    NW, AL
    *nods* CAE is just always I thought I have if there is ever a question to a does status and with edema :)

9. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    OK thanks.. I knew someone would ask ;) I get all freaked out and start researching and thinking bad thoughts..I have to come back to earth now and help my girl, lol!
    I haven't been out there yet buy last night she seemed to be better... I'm hoping it goes away soon.

Update.. I milked her out and got 1/2 a gallon. I left a little for the kids but also gave them a bottle. They don't seem to be nursing very aggressively. I will give them a dab of selenium gel (I had a few last year with not-so-good-appetites and this worked) I will keep up may massage, milk and bottle feed regiment and see what happens.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013