The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gypsy has a bump in her udder now. :( So stressful. We just weaned her kids off of her (one was remaining intact, the other was a bully to the smaller kids). We just discovered the bump today. It is near the top of her udder, you can move it around, sort of feels like a small hardboiled egg. Ugh!

Is mastitis contagious? We are treating our Lamancha with "Today", I'm wondering if somehow the pump we used transferred the mastitis to Gypsy?

We did CMT her, and she was very clear. Not even a little bit of gell. This was a releif as I know when Ebony had mastitis, it did gell up quite a bit.

Could this also be that we milked a bit late this morning and she got overfilled? A blocked milk duct? How do I tell if it is a blocked milk duct, or something else? Should I send the milk in to the vet? How would I do that?

I think our milking practices should be santitary ... we wash our hands and the udder thoroughly before milking in a bleach and soap solution, and dip the teats afterwards as well.

I gave her 4 vitamin Cs and 4 garlic cloves for tonight, as well as an udder massage.

This has been a very strange and stressful year for us. We haven't had any problems like this ... I suppose it comes in seasons. Ah well, at least she's healthy and happy, right? :)

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
it could be a bit of trapped milk. Does it seem to be painful when you touch and mess with it?? Check for fever just as a matter of practice...Treat like congestion if its not painful and message milk message ect....also feed her back about 30 cc of her own milk..if there is anything amiss her body will build antibodies to take care of it..repeat the 30 cc in the am as well...should only need it afew times..;)

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure if it's painful, as she always throws a fit when her udder is messed with. :laugh: We will check for fever. Her udder is not warm, red, or swollen.

I did offer some of her milk, she wasn't a huge fan but did drink some of it. I'll offer it morning and night and continue the Cs, garlic, and massages.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It may have been wishful thinking but it MAY have been smaller today. If not, it certainly wasn't bigger. :) She's getting garlic, vitamin C, kelp, her own milk, and peppermint oil massages. I think she's enjoying all the attention. ;) I'll treat her with ToDay if I have to, but I think she may be able to kick this with a little help. She's really a tank.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would like that. I can never rest well when I know something's up with my girls.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Almost positive there was improvement today. :thumb: Good to have things looking up. :D

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
good job ; )

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
All does have 2 glands at the top of their udder... they are similar in shape and feel to an egg, some does have them more pronounced than others. With the 2 girls I have in milk here, Binkey has her doeling with her through the day and Whimsey is milked 2x a day with no kids, it's Binkey who has the more pronounced "eggs" at the top of her udder, I milk her in the mornings after a 8-10 hour fill and she puts out a quart, Whimsey gives 2 1/2 - 3 cups each milking but I think that Bink's production being more is why her "eggs" are larger :) Milk is good, CMT is normal and appetite is good so I know it's not mastitis.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, liz! I think one of the glands was swollen. On Busy Bee, I can feel her two, normal sized glands. One of Gypsy's glands seems to be a bit larger than it should be. I'm going to CMT her and Bee and see if there's any difference. The gland has definately shrunk, so I wonder if it was either very mild mastitis, or just from her production going up (due to good hay that just came in).

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Oh dear, don't tell me I've put her through so much garlic and udder massages for nothing. :laugh: Oh dear. Well I can say that one little nodule was definately larger than the other. Still is, though not as inflamed, so if it WAS (or is) mastitis it's clearing up. If it wasn't then she got one heck of an herbal deworming and spa treatment.

·
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sent the milk in, and the verdict is back ... *drumroll*

Blocked milk duct! :cool:

The vet took her samples to a professional to talk it over. They said there was nothing in there that pointed to mastitis. The bacteria present was extremely mild and normal, so no threat at all. :D Now I can finally shop shoving her full of garlic and cayenne. :laugh: Better safe than sorry!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts