Udder comparison pics

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by liz, Jun 16, 2009.

1. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Just to satisfy my curiosity here.....I am posting pics of a dam and a sires dams udders.....do ya think the doelings would be improved over the dam?

Dams udder
    [​IMG]sires dams udder[​IMG]

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    um not following?

which is the doe you are asking about improvement

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    To clarify, Binky is on the left, to me she could use a better medial, her capacity is great though.
    The doe on the right is Bonnie Blues sires dam, she has a good medial to me......do you think that doelings, like Bonnie Blue would have an improved medial over Binky( dam).

Would the combo of these two udders be an improvement?

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    in the medial department.. i say yes

but the sire's dam's attachments are poorer than binkys

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    So the medial would be improved upon? I hope so, Binky does fantastic with out put....as far as attachments, I understand that they aren't by any means "perfect" but her udder is nice and close with smooth blending in the fore......and BTW...The doe on the right is a very recent pic it was taken the day before she delivered quads 3 weeks ago at 9 years old, so maybe her age has something to do with the appearance of lax attachments.

I have milked my mini's for years and even though my originals attachments were lousy, and being low slung girls to begin with, Binky's is the first udder I've had the plerasure of milking that was high enough to keep her teats out of the pail, so Binky is a definate improvement over my previous girls.

6. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I like Binky's Udder, it's nice!

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks for the input Jenna :hug:

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    your welcome!! :)

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

its really hard to say. The doe does have a nice medial, But her udder is not full either, Thats the real test. Her rear attachment is really stretched out. Do you know how old she is in the picture? Obviously she was heavily pregnant.
    Remember that genetics dont always mesh well. I have a friend that used this really nice buck. His kids that she got ended up toeing out really really bad their pasturns are falling in. Neither the buck or these animals dam apear to have this problem. I have three does out of three different dams all from the same buck and none of my animals have this problem.
    beth

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Beth, the doe on the right is 9 years old. She kidded quads the day AFTER this pic was taken.

11. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I really like Binky's udder.

12. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have to definitely agree with Beth on the genetics mashing together thing. ;) I was watching a big-time herd this year, Just keeping an eye on their website, seeing their FF's. A lot of them out of a particular buck (one with incredible udder attachment and milking lines) freshened with what I consider pretty bad udders. Poor fore and rear attachments and small badly placed teats. I was shocked they were selling buck kids out of those does. So, sometimes those genetics just don't combine as well as we'd like. But we can hope for the best! :)

I do like Binky's udder and the sire's dam does have a nice medial.

13. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    lets hope she gets Binkey's udder with a little more medial -- but even that isnt so aweful on Binkey either

14. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thanks Stacey.....I honestly think Binky's udder is nice...maybe it's just not showing the "hands on" in the pic but it is really "up there" and I do think that Bonnie is going to have an awesome little udder, compact but capacious....Binky's giving me a cup shy of 2 full quarts daily and she's 14 weeks fresh. :greengrin:

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not saying either one of them has a bad udder. They both have really pretty nice udders. What i am saying is you can breed a 92 EEEE doe to a 92 EEE buck and get a not so great result.
    Sometimes genetics just dont mesh well. Just because they both have great things about them doesnt mean youre going to get a great kid. But you wont know until you try. Genetics are a crapshoot, no matter how good the parents are. Everytime you breed its an expirement.
    beth

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Genetics are a puzzle aren't they? Almost like when you breed 2 black goats and get a solid white one??? The same with udders, right?
    I do totally understand that one Beth. Hopefully though, my choice of a buck doesn't make a worse version :wink:

17. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
    I know Liz, Someone I knew bred a solid black ND buck to a solid red ND doe and got blonde kids!! :greengrin: They are a puzzle! :)

18. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I must say that I think Binky's udder is an improvement over her dams, but I'm new to the udder thing. I will be breeding Bonnie [​IMG]

to my Rosasharn buck

[​IMG],

who has thrown nice looking babies thus far...of course all I have had this year are boys, but they have been pretty! He has got the genetics behind him...hopefully we can get a good result with the kids.

I bred him to a chamoisee doe and got white babies, and bred him to a white doe and got a black baby...believe me, we have living proof that genetics is a crap shoot!

19. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    4Hmama....OOOOOOOOO He is NICE! :thumbup:

The udder that is not Binky's is actually Bonnies, sires dam, I am hoping that Bonnie has the medial that Binky lacks in....and Bonnie just may give you moonspotted or even gold/white kiddo's! Her sire is colored like your buck....I am so excited for you!

20. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

the attachements shouldn't sag with age.. i've seen 9 and 10 year old does with the tightest attached udders.. but if the lines cross well the kids should be fine