The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here are photos of all of my Nigerian does with a 12 hour full udder. I would really appreciate it to hear your thoughts on their udders, so I have a better idea of who to breed to them to improve their kids udders. I am really determined to improve udders in my Nigerians. Deeply appreciated. Thank you!

P.S. The first three (Jasmine, Stardust, Honeysuckle) are does who are on their 4th, 3rd and 2nd freshening, respectably. The last two (Willow, Skye) does are first fresheners. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
471 Posts
I'll give it a try, but I'm not an expert.

Doe #1
Excellent Medial, Very Good Capacity
Teat Placement not great, but not too terrible
Needs more Rear Udder Attachment, and Fore Udder could be smoother, and she could use some more attachments to hold her udder more tightly to her body.
All in all, not a bad udder IMO.

Doe #2
Capacity is good, Medial isn't bad but her udder is lopsided. (kids?)
Needs more Rear Udder attachment
Teat Placement is not ideal, and her Fore Udder needs capacity and attachment.
Not an ideal udder, but you could do worse.

Doe #3
Basically the same as Doe #2
Capacity good, Medial fair,
Needs more rear udder attachment
Teat placement less than ideal, Fore Udder needs more capacity.
Her udder is not the best, but not the worst either.

Doe #4
Capacity pretty good for a FF
Needs more Medial and attachment all around, and smoother, more capacious Fore Udder. Her udder could see some improvement, attachments get weaker with age.

Doe #5
Excellent Udder Capacity, Very Good area of attachment,
Very Good teat placement, Fore Udder looks pretty good,
Could use more Rear Udder height.
Excellent udder for a FF.

I hope I haven't been too negative...I am super picky about udders, and this is how I would judge them if they were my girls. I'm not trying to be discouraging at all, and I hope I haven't come across that way.
If I had to place them, I would go 5, 1, 3, 2, 4. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the critiques!
Curious- I definitely don't feel like you were too harsh on udder judging! I wanted an honest evaluation.. Thank you!
Di-Thanks for your compliments on my girls! I think they're pretty great:) Anyway, I am getting a gallon plus 3/4 of a half gallon every morning from them. I'm pretty pleased with the milk production! Now, what to do with all of that milk:)...

Also, I have now reached a dilemma. Hearing your opinion on how nice Skye's udder is, I am now reluctant to sell her (plus she is pretty easy to hand milk, and is making almost a quart of milk every morning). Especially as it sounds like she may have the best udder of the bunch.. I do have to sell a doe in milk this year (a nice lady already gave me a deposit). So, now I have to decide who to sell to her. Ahhh! It's driving me crazy... I am currently making a pros and cons list, and plan on sleeping on it tonight. Hopefully this will help me to make the right decision...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts