The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is gonna be a little bit tricky to word, but I’ll do my best.

I’ve heard from several people that a doe’s udder after her second freshening will tend to have increased capacity and maybe some other differences as well.

Is this development/change just from time passing and the doe maturing? Or is it something to do with drying up and building an udder again? What I’m wondering is, if you have one of those goats that you can milk for two or three years straight before needing to breed her again, will her udder develop similarly to a doe’s that isn’t kept in milk and is rebred? Or would she need to be dried up and kid again before these changes take place?

I have a FF who’s been producing milk for 28 months straight. I’m curious whether her udder would be drastically different if I rebred her vs. if I just keep milking her until she dries up naturally.

I hope my question came across clearly. I’m seriously having the hardest time putting this one into words!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,852 Posts
If you are happy with what you are getting, there isn't any reason to re-breed her really. That's a great trait for a doe, to milk long-term like that! Once we get to certain point, that's what I'll be doing and breeding in.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That’s probably what I’ll do - she produces almost a gallon a day, and right now that’s really plenty for us. It would be kind of nice to have a dry spell and a break from milking, but as she’s a grade doe with Kiko mixed in, I’m very happy not to have to worry about finding homes for lots of kids from her.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts