Udder Evaluation First Freshener

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by fruittartcaprines, Apr 27, 2010.

1. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Would anyone mind telling me what you think of my first freshener's udder? She's an ND/Alpine cross, still nursing her kids - on a 10 hour fill here.

She's a little twisted on the stand, which makes her look a little more uneven than she is. She's also very hairy...I apologize.

[​IMG]

You can barely see her foreudder here...do I have her standing wrong?

[​IMG]

2. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    In my limited experience it looks like a nice FF udder. The other members can give you a more technical appraisal with her strengths/weaknesses :)

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    She's pretty hairy so it is difficult to see her attachments...Udder looks snug against her body so I have a feeling they are not bad :) . She could use more medial division, I think. I can't really see her fore udder in the second picture...but she appears to have nice long teats :) --how is she to milk?

4. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Thanks guys! She is hairy...My clippers died so though I hand trimmed...well...yea...so....I need new clippers.

She's actually excellent to milk. My hands cramped at first because her teats are actually quite firm, but I suspect they'll get better in time. She's milking about a quart and a quarter per milking which I think is pretty good for her size and first-freshening status. She's still also holding back for her kids - who are BRUTAL to her - I think she and I both can't wait until weaning time (this weekend...thank heavens!!!)

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    for a FF she looks fairly good -- capacity will come with future freshenings at least that is the desire.

Nice teat placement, Shaved will show how high and wide her rear and latteral attachements are. But medial looks fairly defined but again shaving will show that. For udder doesnt seem to extend far so that is where I would look for improvement. I cant tell if its smoothly blended or not again due to not being shaved.