udder evaluation - just for kicks

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by SDK, Apr 12, 2010.

1. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    figured it'd be fun to hear what others think of this udder. I've already got my opinions, but i'd like to hear the others opinions. Second freshening, 7 weeks fresh, 13 hours milk

bit of an uneven trim , but better than it being fuzzy

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would like to see a little more rear udder height but really not that bad. Forudder could use a tad bit more extension but not terrible

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Nice wide rear attachment. You can tell the udder itself is pretty high up in the escutcheon it could just fill a bit higher... imo....or it could be the clip job making it look higher LOL Well attached fore but could use more extension. Teats are a nice size and fairly good placement, but could point down a bit more. Good division and medial, but would like to see a bit more, especially if this is a Lamancha??

Udder almost looks like it could start to sag a bit with more freshenings... but it may not.

4. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    anyone else?? I'm going to write up my detailed udder eval and post it tomorrow i think, unless i can't sleep again in which case it'll be posted at like 3 lol

i'd really like opinions

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    She could definitely use more rear udder height and teat placement more towards the center(it appears her teats are pointing out) nice teat size, good attachment overall, fore udder could use a little more extension.

how much does she milk? it looks like a good amount :)

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    milking 1x day i'm gettin 5 quarts, so she is DEF a bucket buster

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    :shocked: wow thats great for a second freshener!

8. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    yea, hopefully i'll get to start milking twice a day again, then i'll be getting about 2 gallons

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    okay well figured i'd post this before school today

My eval:"

I used the adga score card to evaluate, so out of 35 possible points:

udder support: possible 13, credited a 7 ; she's got great attachments on the fore and a good MSL, but the Rear ligs are weak and the udder is lower than i'd like

Fore Udder: possible 5, credited a 3.5; its well attached, no pockets, just needs to have a little more extension to it

Rear Udder: possible 7, credited 3.5; the udder has weak rear attachments and the udder sits low into the escutcheon

Balance, symmetry, quality: possible 6, credited 4; the 1/3 1/3 1/3 is thrown due to the weak rear udder, throwing the balance of the udder forward, its a very soft udder( i know you guys can't feel it, but i can :p) and she milks down really well. Nice shape to the udder, just hangs too low.

teats: possible 4, credited 3: she needs to have the teats closer in to the MSL, they're too wide set for me currently, bordering on the edges of the udder; they should be about 2/3rds of the distance from the MSL, they'r more like 4/5ths. the orifices, teat length, and teat shape are awesome though, really easy to milk. just teats too far apart

so out of 35 points, i gave her 21 - which puts her at a 60%

10. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    sounds like a good evaluation to me :)

11. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i did the eval somewhere else and someone said i was too harsh. I think its better to be harsh on the udders than soft