The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may remember, my 6 year old doe developed mastitis back in March after kidding. By April, she was terribly sick, infected, high fever, black circles under her eyes (yes, goats get that too) and subsequently had two blow-outs on that side of the udder. Then that side of the udder started to get black spots. All along I was treating her daily according to my vet’s instructions and your recommendations. Eventually the mastitis (fever & infection) cleared up but she is left with two egg-size lumps inside the udder which I’m hoping is nothing more than scar tissue because they are not painful, not warm and don't seem to be a problem... I hope.

Anyway, by mid-May she started getting black scabs on that side of the udder. She usually gets these scabs every Fall on the back of her hind legs which I treat with Nuflor shots and with NuStock topical cream and they normally clear up in a 3-5 of days. This time they won’t clear up so per my vet’s instructions I gave her Nuflor and I used Triple-Antibiotic cream, I washed her with iodine, with a diluted Clorox solution, I even started giving her Zinc in addition to her other minerals. I tried everything but no results.
This is what her udder looks like as of last nite. Today I am going to give her Ivermectin which was recommended by some of you. This is the only Ivermectin I found at my local Feed Store. How do I administer it (oral, SQ, IM, pour onto the udder), what dosage, and how often?

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Did those black scabs start as small yellow scabs? If it did it looks like mites. I used ivermectin injectable at 1cc/30 lbs. You will have to wait for more knowledgeable people to tell you about the drench. Sorry.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't recall. I think they were dark brown/black from the get-go but I don't remember correctly.
I last de-wormed her with Cydectin (oral) on 7/3/19 and I am prepared to give her Ivermectin - IF that's what I need to do. But on the other hand I don't want to over-medicate her un-necessarily.

Thank you for the dosage info on the Ivermectin. Is it SQ or IM?

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
PLEASE DON'T inject a drench!! The dosage for a .08% solution of Ivermectin would be different than 1% Ivermectin solution. There should be dosage by weight breakdown for sheep on the bottle, have no clue what the dosage for this particular product would be for goats though.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
Yes, That is an oral drench and should only be given orally which will not help if she has mites. You would need Injectable Ivomec, 1 cc per 40# sub Q.

If this were my doe, I would gently wash the udder with warm water and soap. Rinse and Dry it well. Once its dry, I would spray with a blend of witch hazel and Melaleuca ( tea tree) Quality essential oil. I would also consider a cleanse protocol. Since this is keeps showing up, cleaning her system may stop it from happening again. Kristie from Land of Havilah can offer you direction and the product.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
Dose for the Ivomec ORAL drench, given orally only

IVOMEC DRENCH FOR SHEEP0.08% Solution:
Dose is 3 mls. per 18 lbs. for goats

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,277 Posts
Yes, That is an oral drench and should only be given orally which will not help if she has mites. You would need Injectable Ivomec, 1 cc per 40# sub Q.

If this were my doe, I would gently wash the udder with warm water and soap. Rinse and Dry it well. Once its dry, I would spray with a blend of witch hazel and Melaleuca ( tea tree) Quality essential oil. I would also consider a cleanse protocol. Since this is keeps showing up, cleaning her system may stop it from happening again. Kristie from Land of Havilah can offer you direction and the product.
I would be giving garlic and vitamin c as well.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I soaked her udder in warm water (with Dish detergent and a splash of Clorox), I wiped it vigorously with a wash cloth several times until most of the scabs came off. Then I applied triple-antibiotic cream because that's all I have at the barn. Here is what it looks like now.
I'll continue with your recommendations and will keep you updated.
I do wish I knew what was causing this. She gets these scabs on the back of her legs every Fall and no other goats get it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
58,178 Posts
Is there a specific way you would prefer to go like only natural or chemical? Use what you have on hand or go out and buy? Just want to understand what direction you want to go in to give advice.

I'm wondering if something like MTG would help along with working on her immune system.

·
Registered
29,926 Posts
wow..that looks way better. Might try chlorhexidine over the clorox, its not as harsh.
My buck gets mites ALL OVER every rut. (he's a retired older gent with immune issues) This past season it would not clear away. Not even after 3 rounds of ivomec injections! (once a week for 3 weeks...3x's) I tried Ivomec pour on..didn't even touch it. I was tired of pumping him full of junk that wasn't working. What I finally did for him was mix Nustock in water and added Tea tree EO in a spray bottle and we sprayed that 2 times a day on him and rubbed it in. Woola..new hair, less scabby skin. He has now lost all that old yucky hair and has pink skin showing through his very thin hair but is improving daily. Nustock is mostly Sulphur...I think similar to MTG. But really addressing the immune system is key to stop the cycle. Amos will not eat his garlic so making a paste and feeding it daily is needed. He is also on a product called Starting fluid, a chelated mineral supplement. Other good things to help would be the herb blend called Back On Track from Land of havilah. Helps with gut issues, as we all know that is where everything begins...and again, she may do well with a cleanse

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ksalvagno, I will try anything. She is 6 years old and because of she had mastitis in the Spring, I don't think I'll be breeding her again, so either natural or chemical is ok.

Happybleats, I used Nustock but I smeared it as a cream on the affected areas. I need to find out where to get Tea Tree Oil and if you don't mind, please send me the ratio for that spray (Nustock-EO-water). Also, what is Starting fluid? Where do I get it?

Reactions: GoofyGoat

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Wow, you must have worked like mad to make such a difference in such a short time! Well done, both of you!

I have no advice, but I wonder why no other goat gets those leg scurs.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, per your recommendations I've been using MTG for the last 4 days and it looks like it may do the trick because the scabs are drying up and there are no new lesions. And the lesions that were there are healing nicely.. so far (see pictures as of this morning). It is very possible that she had Mud Fever (Rain Scald) all along and me treating her with NuStock (instead of MTG) I damaged her skin causing the lesions which then turned into scabs.

Anyway, I will continue with the MTG and hope it will help heal completely it but in the mean while, this morning i noticed this sore on the corner of her right eye. It looks like sore-mouth but it can't be because she already had that in 2013 when she was a baby. I am reluctant to put anything on it because it's so close to the eye. Any thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I have a strange idea. My husband has been battling several health issues, including alcoholism. He managed to bring his liver to the edge of failure. The liver is vital for keeping many things cleaned up and functional in the body. I started making a very strong Dandelion ROOT tea and giving it to him, both mixed with water, and used in cooking his food instead of water. It really seems to have helped... Can you give your goat dandelion root tea in some form to help support her liver?

It may be a cockeyed idea, but sometimes they help.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I wonder if perhaps goats will eat the dandelion roots as they are? Mine did, on the one occasion they had. I wondered, what they were picking with such appetite from the newly furrowed field ...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts