Udder Infusion with PennG

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by villager, Nov 30, 2010.

1. villager

villager New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Has anyone ever tried to treat mastitis with an infusion of PennG, as mentioned by Goatlady at goat-link.com? I realise that an infusion of drugs is only necessary in severe cases of mastitis.

Here in Malawi, a villager would never be able to afford a course of treatment with something like Today. The cost would be as much as the income that they would get from selling a kid (and litter size is usually only one). However, we can buy antibiotics like PennG, which would be affordable to a villager.

Goatlady says that in the old days, people used to infuse the udder with PennG (Penicillin G Procaine?), using a teat cannula on the end of a regular syringe. I asked around here about that, but got only a rumour that it had been tried briefly, some time ago, by the Government Veterinary Department. Apparently it caused "burning" in the udder or teat, presumably because the drug was too concentrated.

I would appreciate reading what people have to say about teat infusions with PennG. In particular, what the dosage should be for such a localised treatment, and if dilution of the drug is required, and with what (boiled water?).

Some links:

PennG specifications: http://goat-link.com/content/view/194/168/

Mention of the use of PennG for udder infusion: http://goat-link.com/content/view/122/1/1/2/

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Hmmm...luckily, I've not had the need to treat for mastitis, I have heard of the Pen G infusions though. From what I have read about the use of it, the reason it may cause damage is that it is absorbed too quickly, most udder infusions are oil based to allow for slower absorption so the med stays in the infected area longer. Pen G is normally used in conjuction with an udder appropriate med as an injection to help with the fever usually associated with mastitis.