Udder not drying up

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Bianca, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    I have a goat whose kids I weaned from her a little over 2 months ago. Her bag never really changed and she still has milk. Her bag is not hard that I can tell, but I have another goat whose kid was weaned at the same time whose bag is totally dried up. Should I be concerned?

2. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Are you sure other kids aren't sneaking in to nurse?? It might not be her own kids. I don't know how she would still be producing milk if no one is nursing :shrug: ??? Yep, my guess would be someone snuck in there w/ her to nurse and has kept nursing over these 2 months. It might even be an older kid.

3. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    There are no other kids with her. She is in a pen with only another doe. Although she is in a pen that shares a fence with a pen of kids. Can they drink through the fence?

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh yes! Those little buggers will find any way possible to get milk. I separate my kids with cattle panels during the night so I can milk in the mornings. Sometimes they will be half milked out because the kids have stuck their heads through the bars and had a little drink. :ROFL: Doesn't really bother me any since I get more milk than I need.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Agree w/ RunAround...those little guys will find some way to nurse if momma is just in the pen next to them! Silly little guys! :roll:

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    If there is no way any other kids are getting to her, could she possibly be sucking herself?? I had a little milking doe who would do that sometimes and I taped her teats.

7. Bianca

Bianca New Member

Oct 24, 2007
    Thanks for the replies. I moved the mother to across the farm this afternoon, so that will hopefully take care of it. Thanks again! I feel a lot better now.

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I agree with Olivia..I too have a doe that "self nurses"....the ONLY way I could get her to dry up was to shave her udder and tape her teats to where she couldn't pull the tape off....I do milk my girls and her doing this is frustrating so it was better for me to dry her off....and while I was milking her I fashioned her a collar so that she couldn't reach her teats.. :ROFL:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    could it just be milk sitting in her udder and she isnt' producing any more?

What happends is they produce and then slowly stop, but if you dont empty the milk out it sits in there.

I would milk her out and then see if it fills back up again. If it does she is still producing. if it doesnt then you know that was her problem.

10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Good point Stacey....I do the gradual drying off with my girls and after the 2nd week with Tilly she stayed filled, though not tight and then suddenly "deflated".....Angel with her bitty udder got tight and I stripped her a little then she was more comfortable but still bagged, when I stripped her a week later the "old" milk was very thick then turned to water a few days later....try to milk your doe, if it is freshly made milk, you'll know it's going somewhere, so 9/10 she's still producing.