The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brand new poster here! Though I often come here to search when I have a problem. But now I have a problem that I can find no answer to.

I have a first time freshener Saanen who is due any day now. I let the does run with the buck all winter so the due date is a little fuzzy.

Her bag started swelling up over a week ago. Neither bag is hard or completely swelled up, but yesterday I saw a weird ooze dripping from one udder. I put her on the milk stand to investigate and SLOWLY squeezed to see if the mucus plugs were lost. They were gone. And out came a very very thick yellow ooze. Much thicker than colostrum.

I thought this was odd so I squeezed the other udder and out comes very very thick clear ooze.... I googled my heart out and could not find anything on this. So I took a mastitis test to her just to be safe and the clear ooze teat tested very positive while the yellow ooze teat tested clean.

(fyi I did spray the teats to prevent further infection when I was done)

This is confusing.... She has never milked so how can she already have an infection? Is the test wrong? Should I milk out all the ooze? Should I treat her for mastitis? :confused::confused::confused:

Thank you in advance for your expert opinion on the matter

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Colostrum doesn't test properly on a CMT. Very thick and yellowish is normal for colostrum. The thicker it is, the more antibodies there are in it.
She is over full though and she can get an infection from laying on the ground with her teats leaking. I would milk just a few squirts out daily and spray her with teat dip to keep her from over filling and to disinfect her daily.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Colostrum doesn't test properly on a CMT. Very thick and yellowish is normal for colostrum. The thicker it is, the more antibodies there are in it.
She is over full though and she can get an infection from laying on the ground with her teats leaking. I would milk just a few squirts out daily and spray her with teat dip to keep her from over filling and to disinfect her daily.
I'll second this and add that I might take more than a few squirts out. Is there any difference in the temperature, skin color or sensitivity from side to side?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't see or feel any difference between the two teats. Just one discharges yellow and one is clear.

I will try milking her out a bit until she has the kids. Maybe it will help train her to the milking stand while there's no milk to lose :-D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts