udder problem

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by fiftysomething, Sep 2, 2008.

1. fiftysomething

fiftysomething New Member

Sep 2, 2008
    One of our goats, who we've had for about 7 years, has been having trouble with her udder filling for no reason....it is apparently sore and makes her limp on left rear leg when it gets too full.....vet came and drained it a few weeks ago and said that the ligaments to her udder had broken down and it was filling with fluid (not milk) She tested the fluid, no infection, and after her udder was drained the lameness was gone. She warned me that it might fill again and I could drain it.....well, it did and so I "milked" her as best I could.....the fluid was almost the consistency of Elmers glue, and a little yellowish-beige in color......anyone heard of anything like this? She mentioned that we could remove her udder if this problem is recurring but I don't want to go to those drastic measures. Thanks for any advice.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    hmm

has this doe ever been bred before?

3. fiftysomething

Sep 2, 2008
    Not since we have had her, which has been about 7 years.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Just wanted to say howdy fiftysomething,,, and welcome to the goat spot,,glad to see ya here...
    7 years is a long time not being bred..........I have never experienced a problem such as that.,,
    sorry I couldn't helped,,but hopefully someone else can..........................

again........................... welcome :wave:

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    my thought was if she was never bred she could have a precocious udder. The fluid almost seems like a colostrum :shrug:

I would ask for the vets advise on this one, I am not sure what the best rute is for her

6. fiftysomething

Sep 2, 2008
    Thanks. It's so weird that this would happen to her out of the blue. Oh well, who knows! I'll just keep an eye on her and see what happens.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if you get a picture that might help us

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is it really thick almost cheesy coming out? That isn't necessarily mastitis but the color of the milk you described sounds like it may be. Is her udder hot at all? Or does it have any hard spots?

9. fiftysomething

Sep 2, 2008
    No, I would not say that it was cheesy...definitely thicker than milk though.....maybe like slightly thinner than Elmers glue. Her udder is not hot and has no hard spots.
    By the way, it took about 2-3 weeks for it to fill up again after the vet drained it, and then she was lame again, like the udder was sore or cumbersome and in her way....I drained it a few days ago, lameness went away, and so far is not back again.
    If I can get a picture up I will.....she does not want me to get too close to her since I milked her (which she was not in favor of)

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    just wondering if your feeding alot of grain? :question:

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It does sound like Precocious udder....the lameness you see is probably due to the fact that she is trying to walk and avoid bumping her udder, if it takes that long to fill up then maybe try cutting her grain and treat her like a doe you want to dry off....no grain and don't milk her but watch for sign of mastitis like redness and hotness of the udder as well as any hardness in the tissue, other than that I'm at a loss....unless she has a sudden hormonal issue that has caused this, I don't know if your vet would be willing or can test for that.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you can also try to seek a different vet,,, that may know more about goats................. :shrug: