The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, our Nubian girl Daily had two beautiful babies last friday. The little doe has been nursing right along; the buckling is a little slow on the uptake, but is finding his way. We milk her some to help make sure he's getting enough to eat. Daisy's udder is really, really big and pretty tight and hard...I guess that's my question. Should we milk her more? Could there be something wrong with her udder? Tonight I got so little milk I stopped because I wanted the kids to have enough. I don't want her milk to go down, but I'm just not sure how much there is or if the babies are getting enough! Please advise! Thank you! :? Brooke

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
When you say its hard, is it hard because its tight? Or is it hard like solid? If it is hard like solid she could have mastitis. Is it hot or red at all? If you can still get a lot of milk out of her milk it out to relieve pressure, if she has mastitis you'll have to make sure she is milked out.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I know your worry about the kids not having enough but she WILL make more for them.

Sorry to steal your thread, but can you spray fightbac on a doe that you are letting back in with her kids??? In other word is it safe for them?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
She could be holding back from you getting teh milk and that is why she still feels tight though you can't get any milk.

Is she tight all the time? Does her udder ever get soft?

If not then yes she either has a congested udder or mastitis. You can put warm compresses on her ever hour or so and milk her out as you do it (or let the kids nurse) and it should start to loosen up. You have to be dilligent with the compresses and very viggerous massaging

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your advice! Yes, it's tight, but I do not think Daisy has mastitis. Her teats are fine, there's no heat or tenderness. Seems to me both my does have very tight udders right after they freshen and eventually it loosens up; she just looks so uncomfortable! Sometimes I think I can't get much milk because the kids are drinking it. I just want to be sure they're getting enough, but I also want to be sure that when we need it we will be able to get some.
Don't worry Muddy Creek, I actually wondered the same thing! I'm afraid to spray because of the kids, and I'm afraid not to because of the mama.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts