Udder Question

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by capriola-nd, Sep 13, 2008.

1. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm just curious how long you let your does fill up w/ milk in order to evaluate their udder/take udder pics? I always thought 12 hours but what does everyone else do?? I'm just curious. . . . Thanks!

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When first freshened, if you bottlefeed, 12 hours should be enough, though I've seen does at super capacity and leaking at just 8 hours. If the kids are new and are being raised by mom, I wouldn't separate them until they are 2 weeks old to judge the dams udder...12 hours is as long as I've gone with my girls.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I've always heard you wait 12 hours...or overnight.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    For some reason, it seems like some people wait longer. Is that true?

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I am bad about getting up in the mornings.... so sometimes it's more than twelve hours. But I know my girls wont get overfull. If it is their first time filling up then I give 12 hours or less so that I know how full they are going to get. Xcell at her peak needed sooner than twelve hours, now she could only be milked once a day if I wanted.

Also for shows the girls do get filled longer than twelve hours so that they are full. I don't overbag, but some people do and it looks sooo uncomfortable. Judges are supposed to take off for it, but I haven't seen it yet.

6. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thank you. I don't want to over-fill udders, it does look terribly uncomfortable! I'm looking to buy a new buckling next year and I want one from lines w/ lots of milk and beautiful udders. But I don't want to look at a gorgeous doe w/ a huge udder and then find out she hasn't been milked in two days!! I want it to look like that at 12 hours! (or so) :) Maybe I'll just have to ask the breeder when the pic was taken, how many hours of milk, and hope they are honest.

Oh, the breeder I'm looking at right now is Poppy Patch Farm in WA. They have some beautiful goats!! I like Jane Seymour. She will be bred to a buckling from NC PromisedLand. This buckling is out of Palimony and Legacy Sunday. What do you guys think? Any other does on their website that would be a nice choice?

7. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    jane seymour is a beautiful doe!! i saw her once when they still lived in ca i would do it.. even better if the buck is out of palimony

8. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think she is so beautiful too!! I'm going to send a deposit and hope to goodness she has more than one buckling as there is one already reserved from her.

9. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    shining sand is a beautiful doe too but she is being bred to monty.. i love monty but he's not along the lines of that breeding. semisweet is beautiful! but i am partial to her dam line.. haha she is being bred to palimony's kid too so maybe you could say, if jane doesn't have two bucks i want one from semisweet?? :shrug:

but jane is tops

10. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

it really depends on what you want to improve in the next few years, my two favorite does of theires are #1 betty boop< i really like how smoothly attached her udder is all the way around, she has a nice medial and a really long smooth foreudder. and #2 merily monroe for her general apearance, she is ver uphill and smooth very high and tight in her withers pretty head and long neck. both does have strong feet and legs.
    beth

11. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Well, most of my does excel in general appearance and dairy character so I mostly want to keep that strong in their genes and breed to improve udders, mainly capacity, teat size/placement, and higher/wider rear udders. I do also love Semi Sweet, she is beautiful! For some reason, I don't care so, so much for Shining Sand, she's beautiful but her udder doesn't look quite as capacious as Jane or Semi Sweet. Marilyn Monroe would probably be my next choice for a buck.

What do u think of Chickadee??

12. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

chickadee is nice, i would like to see her foreudder a little longer, but she has a nice medial and nice sized/placed teats. I wouldnt worry so much about capacity as i would nice attachments. Capacity is nice to have and it is on the scorecard, but you need to have the attachments first to hold the capacity there. i good quality doe will get the capacity as she gets older. More capacity visually doesnt always mean more milk either. Look for a doe who milks down to nothing, no tissue there. that means there is more room for milk. A lot of does that show a lot of capacity will havea lot of tissue when milked out.
    beth

13. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, okay. Well, I love Betty Boop's udder but her conformation doesn't thrill me. They say on the website that she could be more dairy and have a longer body. So. . . . u think Marilyn Monroe is a better choice than Jane? She is Jane's daughter, so I'll still be getting those lines.

14. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm thinking I'll get a doeling from them as well. Maybe one out of Pocahontas or Not Quite an Angel (both of them are daughters of Betty Boop). They said that these two does have a longer bone pattern than their dam and hopefully they'll get her incredible udder. Plus, one of them will be bred to a Buttin' Heads buck and the other to Playboy.

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I agree that she could be longer bopdied, but she has done well in the show ring. I know there is some stiff compition at the puyallup fair. I have showed there many times myself. I think a doe out of one of bettys daughters would be a wonderful adition.
    What i would so is pick one thing commen on the majority of your does that you would like to improve and then get abuck based on that trait. Sometimes genetics click and sometimes they dont. Even with does out of the same litter. I had a set of triplet does two years ago, one was absolutly awsome. She won as a int kid all over the place, beating out many kids coming from excellent lines (not that hers were anything to sneeze at) Her two sisters i ended up keeping. Sadly i lost tango the nicest of the three to sudden bloat. But rhythm and trill freshened this past spring very different. trill had nice sized easy to milk teats and a tremendous rear udder, but had a large pocket. her sister rhythm had a smooth foreudder tiny teats and a decent rear udder. Everytime you breed its luck of the draw you never know what youre going to get.
    beth

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, that's very true. The hard part of breeding animals. . . .

So, would you pick a buck from Jane or Marilyn Monroe? I'll ask them which one has a better rump as that is something that I would like to see improved in some of our does. Actually, I'd like for a couple of our does to have a little more width in the hocks too, they're not bad but not perfect.

17. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I personnaly wouls pick one out of Jane if those were my options. To me she just seems like the better doe to me. :?

18. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Yeah, I do really like the looks of Jane. Marilyn is going to be bred to Twin Creeks BW Rebel W/ Out a Cause *S - This buck is super nice and has proven daughters that are wonderful milkers, I think he has two that are permanent champions now too. Jane will be bred to a really nice buck but he's not proven w/ milking daughter yet. . . . decisions, decisions. . . :? :wink:

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Oh, what about Lil' Miss Sunshine?? They rave about her udder on their website and even kept a buckling from her this year, she's a FF too.