Udder Question????

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by goinggoaty, Jun 30, 2010.

1. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Okay y'all are going to get sick of me but I just want to know about udders. I have read that some does don't get an udder until labor starts and that some get it as soon as the third month. So on a first freshner who was bred in March should I be seeing udder? She just isn't changing down there it's just two teats and a small bit of loose skin but no bulge or anything. She is getting bigger around but I'm not sure if thats just her getting healthy or pregnant. Could she still get an udder just later or should I be seeing changes already? I know udder question overload sorry just my first time looking for one. Thanks for your time

2. pennylullabelle

pennylullabelle New Member

It's still pretty early. If you aren't seeing udder yet it doesn't mean she isn't bred! I have 2 girls (full sisters) due in the same week of August and one look more pregnant in pooch and body but had No udder development. Where the other looks like she did when she got bred but had a little baseball sized udder! I also have one girl who isn't due for another 2 weeks but has looked almost bagged up for about 3 weeks now! These are all FF so I just have to keep watching and learn their patterns ;)

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... that all does can be different.... in most cases... you should see the udder starting ... 1 1/2 to 1 months prior ....to kidding...there are those few.... that wait til the last minute.....Also FFers ...when they are just starting an udder ...you cannot see it.... but can feel it.... :wink:

4. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I'm new, too, and only have experience with one. Our boer doe was not a ff, obviously, but she was slowly making more and more of an udder beginning a month before she delivered. It got bigger the week before she kidded, but never looked like a big and round dairy goat udder. It just looked slightly roundish and the teats looked more pinkish the day before. The day after she delivered it got huge and looked so dairy, but then it went back down to roundish and has stayed that way. Her baby is eating plenty and gaining like crazy, so not sure what's up with that. She must be keeping mom empty!

5. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Okay thanks so much it's been stressful as silly as that sounds but I have been staring at udder and goat parts everyday. I know there are blood tests and ultrasound which as time goes on sounds like a better idea everyday. I just keep saying yes she is pregnant......well maybe not.........nope yes she is for sure......but I don't know.....Basically being a crazy person and the udder was really confusing me so now i at least know that each doe will udder when they'll udder. Thanks again for all your help

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :thumb:

Can you get a pooch pic of your doe...?
    It is a semi close... but clear pic.. of the vulva/poop shoot/ and tail area....also getting a pic of her udder area... may help to.....If she is 2 months or more along... in which... she sounds like she is.....we have pooch readers...that can tell by looking at the pics.... if a doe is preggo or not.... It is pretty accurate.... :wink: :hug:

7. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Pam...her doe's "pooch pics" are in this thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15273&start=0

Anika...does her pooch look any different than when you first posted the pic back in May? At this point she should be more swollen and poofy looking under her tail.

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks Liz...... :thumb:
    I agree... how does her pooch look ...now ...compared to her prior pooch pic..any changes?

9. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    I would say only a slight change to her 'pooch' not anything real noticeable that's why I'm confused because it was a majority vote on pregnant but there haven't been any real changes other than getting a bit rounder. No noticeable udder change which I'm hearing may take a bit but no real vulva change either so would that mean she probably isn't bred? Really that's why I was asking about the udder is because the vulva hasn't changed much. :? What would the general thought be if that's the case bred or not bred? Thanks again for your time.