Udder questions

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crocee, Nov 9, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK as you know I bought a 2.5 year old Togg yesterday. She had a single baby this past spring who only nursed 1 side, and the other was not milked out so it dried up. Now she is bred again but her udder is lopsided due to the one sided nursing.

Now for the question. IF she has twins or even another single and I milk out the other side will her udder straighten up? or will it always be lopsided? I was told that both sides were approximately equal before she delivered.

I had another question but my train of thought derailed and I can't remember what it was. I guess I need to write things down on paper as I think of them.

OK I got my train of thought back on the right track and remembered the 2nd question.

Does the udder ever go back to pre-pregnancy look or will it always be floppy? I know it won't be perfectly flat against the belly but does it shrink to be much much smaller. Tracy's udder is still looking like a large deflated balloon on the previously nursed side. It just kind of hangs there and looks a hollow bag. I will get some pictures of it as soon as I can get her on to a milk stand and shave some of the hair off.

I may have to make another milk stand just for these 2 goats as the one we have looks too small. It was made for the smaller baby goats, its only 3ft long. Note to self: When making a milk stand, make it fits the largest size goat and adapt it down to fit smaller ones.
    crocee

2. Sybil

Sybil New Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Rainier, Oregon
    It was too bad that the previous owner didn't encourage the kid to drink from both sides. Her saggy side should shrink up more while she is dry. Can't really tell you that she will freshen even. Have had does in the past that were uneven due to the single kid but kept the other side in milk and milked the doe twice a day so she stayed as even as possible and then usually the kid would drink from both sides. The owner must not of handed milked this doe?
    Sue

3. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    She has not been handled very much at all. While shes not wild, shes not gentle either. She will take apple pieces from my hand but I can not just walk up and pet her. The gentleman I bought her from did her feet while I was there. He had to catch her with a handful of corn, then use a rope halter to clip her to the fence. Her feet were done regularly so they were in good shape and only needed a little trimming. I am hoping that a few treats and good feed will gentle her a bit. She ate the cup of meat goat pellets I gave her and looked at me for more. Shes also getting a cup of boss, a cup of chopped alfalfa, a sprinkling of sweet lix and grass hay. I can pet her while shes eating but I can't get around to her udder yet. I really hope it evens out somewhat with this breeding. I think shes going to be very pretty once she gets the right stuff into her.
    crocee

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She should fill evenly with her next freshening....my 1 doe had a single in 07...he nursed just one side the most but occassionaly would nurse the other...I did milk the one side 1x a day, but she still was a bit lopsided throughout the next 6 months....she freshened with triplets this past February, evened out very well but now that I'm still milking her I can feel a difference in her udder...the side that was less used the previous year doesn't have as much "mass" to it....she doesn't look lopsided but I can tell from feel. And the udder will go back to a smaller size but it really depends on the does attachments as well as capacity...the more filled it was the more skin there will be, and if the attachments aren't the best, then it will droop even more.

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I will definitely be milking her. The gentleman I bought her from has offered to show me how since I have never milked a goat before. Cows yes but I was told goats are different in the technique. Cows milk hurts my stomach so I can't wait to try the goats milk. Its supposed to be much gentler on the digestion. DH wants me to make some ice cream. I just asked how much he could eat, he gave me that "as much as you can make" look. I don't like store bought ice cream so I am very interested in trying this. I also want to make cheese and soap. With a Nubian and a Togg due next spring I should have plenty to experiment with.
    crocee

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    in the same boat with you on the cows milk. I am very sad that I have to dry up my doe :(

I started making icecream too and it turned out pretty good. I used the goats milk and this package stuff from Rival for flavoring and thickener.

There is a 50/50 chance she will even out with her next freshioning. But her one teat will be bigger then the other.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The teat on the large side is huge and very long. Its probably 5 inches. I know this would be a dream to milk when the time comes but it is odd looking.
    crocee

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With milking and her kids nursing...if you choose to let mom raise them to weaning...the un used side will be bigger but probably not as big as the "used" side....it's a wait and see type thing, o and if you wish to start milking "early" while she nurses her kids, I tried the " lock kids away from mom at night and milk in the morning thing" for the first time this past spring...worked great! I started this when the kids turned 3 weeks old....shut them together in a stall where they could see their mom at around 9 pm....I milked mom before work at 4:30 am..got just under a quart from my little nigi...mom and kids were together from early am to later at night so I got the benefit of milk earlier than I normally would have and the kids thrived too. When you do start to milk, it may take a bit longer to milk out the "small" side, but with practice and use that side will become more like the "big" side.

9. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

its hard to tell if she will be evn or not, but if the one side dried up and the other side didnt, then that side has had much more lactation time. it might take a couple of years to get her looking more even.
    beth