Udder went from GORGEOUS to WORTHLESS!!!

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Farmer Gab, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    So, we bought a Nubian doe in milk last year and her udder wasn't great, but we just thought it was because she was a first freshener so we just dealt with it for the season. She kidded two bucklings about a week ago and she is not proving to be a very good mother either - at least compared to our other doe. Brownie barely lets her two boys nurse and when she does she only lets them nurse breifly from just one side. So, now the one side is drastically flacid. I started to milk her a few days ago, but I haven't noticed any change. Let me just say that her udder was GORGEOUS after she kidded....Now, I am hand milking her every few hours with hopes of her udder returning to its glory of last week. I have never had this happen before. Any suggestions? Any thoughts? Her udder is so small now...

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    When the kids nurse, are they choosing one side over the other? It's likely the lesser side that they are on. What type of feed is she getting?Sorry, the only thing that does come to mind with just being a week fresh and having a full, even udder at the time of birth is that the kids are on just one side.

Another possibility, have you ever noticed her "pulling" on her own teats? I ask this only because I did have a doe that did that and her kids competed with her for the milk.

3. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    The kids weren't choosing one side over the other. Brownie kicks them off the one side and RARELY lets them nurse on that side - the more flacid side. However, her whole udder is looking pathetic now. It was soooooooo beautiful! :( I try to get out there every couple of hours to milk her out to get the demand HIGH......Am I wasting my time? Oh, and no she is not messing with her teats......

4. Farmer Gab

Farmer Gab New Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Flagstaff, Arizona
    Oh, and our goats are given: alfalfa pellets & hay, free choice minerals, baking soda, goat chow, and cob all with a lot of fresh water......

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My goodness, I am stumped.....really odd that she dried up within the week, even if it was mastitis, she wouldn't be flaccid there would be some engorgment going on. :?

6. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY
    You can always try using an herbal formula to increase milk production.. Molly's Herbal has a Mo'Milk formulation.. all natural.. Don't know how well it works, but I generally have good luck with her products!

Jennah

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If she wasnt letting them nurse off of one side it can be a sign of pain. I would test her for mastitis.
    beth

8. I had the opposite problem. Mamma let them milk only one side (or they only wanted that side) so it stayed small. The other side got very swollen and hot and was obviously causing her pain so she wouldnt let them milk it even if they wanted to. Mom and I had to milk her out a couple days on the swollen, unmilked side. It obviously pained her but after a few days the swelling went down, the pain lessened and the kids "noticed" it finally and began to milk both sides evenly. Problem solved. Dont know if this helps, just thought Id offer it