The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Udder? Update - there's milk!

Hello everyone :)

So on the 20th we got two rescued goats. They are both does, in pretty bad condition, but we're feeding them up and they are improving.

One of the does is Giselle. She is the fatter of the two goats and also appears to be older. I'm guessing she's rather mature based on the impressive size of her horns and the fact that she has all her teeth but they are fairly worn, spaced and dirty, but I'm far from a goat expert.

I noticed when she arrived that she had a fairly large udder. It is hard to tell if it's gotten bigger or stayed the same... It feels a bit like my lactating cow's udder when she has been milked - soft and bouncy. The thing is, I'm not sure if that means she's pregnant, has had kids recently or she simply has a fleshy udder from many previous kiddings. What do you think?

Any thoughts would be appreciated! ^_^

Regards,
Tamara

·
Registered
626 Posts
When did u get her? If its been a few days and you havnt milked her, she is eaither drying up or pregnant. And by the look of her horns she is an older doe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
As I said in the original post, we got Giselle and another doe, along with a sheep, on the 20th of August. So it's been 12 days.

Their story was a bit confusing as we got them from a woman who was the neighbour of the man who originally owned (and neglected) them. There was a buck, who belonged to the man, involved at some point as the woman's own goats kidded some time ago, so the man got rid of the buck. The woman had already sold her own goats and kids when we contacted her.

I have no idea what exact date the buck was around, but according to the woman she had this doe for about 9 weeks, and she never mentioned kids. She was a very honest woman so I doubt she had any kids in that 9 week time period but there is a chance the buck got to her before.

Should I try seeing if any milk comes out or might that damage her if she is pregnant? How soon might she give birth if she IS pregnant?

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
She does look in rough shape but not to bad. Agree with LA, in that she is dry. She has pretty small teats so its possible she hasnt kidded in awhile. And the horns do speak of an older doe. I really like her rack.... errr horns :) Front knees dont show any sign of CAE and no obvious CL scars. Overall I like her. Id of like to seen her if she had been treated as she shoulda.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you! ^_^
Yeah, the other goat is in worse condition, but mostly just emaciated. I don't think they have any medical problems though. Giselle has a limp but I believe it is from overgrown hooves (which we will be trimming soon). They have very rough coats too. It's possible Giselle has worn a collar a lot (note the thinning, scruffy hair around her neck).

The other goat also has a little udder but not much bigger than our other two goats who have never kidded in their lives, so it was just Giselle's larger one I was worrying about.
Her udder feels like it might have some milk in there, but I have no experience with lactating goats, only my dairy cow.

·
Registered
31,458 Posts
Shes a pretty thing : ) her udder could be left over from previous kidding...I have an old Sannen Doe whose last kidding was a bit more than a year ago...she just came back in milk lol..not a lot but she's making milk. Hormones kick in during breeding season, .Its hard to say if your girl is bred or not, her belly does not look it...a blood test can give you answers...Biotracking will also give a gestation time line if she is bred. Maybe be worth the effort...its only $5 to test.
I also see she needs worming and perhaps copper...a fecal wil let you know what worms she is dealing with...
I would also give probios to help her rumen function and B complex for a good vit. boost
Shes lucky tohave found a caring new mom :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input :) I will watch her closely and see if any changes happen. She IS being very hormonal right now - if you saw my last thread... she and another of our original goats are acting like bucks.

We have a wormer which was given to us by the woman - it is an expensive prescription wormer given by a vet, so we're going to do them very soon. The woman did already worm them once and they are due again.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I will look into getting them! :)

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
She's a pretty cool looking goat. It looks like when she is in milk she would have a fairly decent udder. Not sure where you would get probiotics in Australia. Here we get them at the feed store. It comes in a tube and is a paste, kind of like horse wormer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Yes, I'm pretty sure she is some kind of British Alpine cross. I think the other goat might have some Nubian in her. They are very pretty! ^_^

There's lots of different probiotics, just nothing specifically called probios.

Important news from today - I tried squeezing her teats and some MILK came out! It was white, smelled just like my cow's milk, and came out fairly easily but I was tentative about it so I only squeezed a dribble out. So what does this mean? Is there a chance that she kidded recently? If she was pregnant, wouldn't the milk be yellow colostrum? Or does colostrum only come in right before she kids? If she kidded 9 or more weeks ago (either during or before the time she was with the neighbour) would she still have milk left over and is in the process of drying up right now?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
nice looking doe you got there. her horns are so pretty!

with probios, I don't know what other brands you can give (I THINK some people give the horse stuff, but don't trust my memory on this one...hopefully someone else chimes in for you on this). but you can also give plain yogurt.

as for pregnancy, go take a few pictures of her lady parts. many people here are able to judge whether they're pregnant just by looking there. I'm not sure if you have biotracking in Aus, so maybe call your vet and see if they do pregnancy tests.

·
Super Moderator
59,755 Posts
If she freshened earlier, then she is probably in the process of drying up. If you aren't sure, you can send a blood sample in to BioTracking and verify pregnancy status.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I have a dry mixed breed doe (alpine/boer cross, actually) who has a dry udder that looks similar. I can usually get a little milk out if I try, but she is actually dry (her udder never fills, at any rate, and she hasn't been milked in a year). What i do get out is just like normal milk. I just checked a squirt when I thought she might be bred (but she wasn't, which is why she hasn't been milked in a year, blech).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks guys ^_^

Actually, we sometimes make our own yoghurt with raw cows milk. Would that work? Otherwise I will do some research and see what us Aussies use in place of probios.

I will look into getting a pregnancy test, and also take photos of her 'lady parts'... It might just be me, but I think her udder is getting fuller. Today I squirted out several decent streams of milk out of one quarter and it feels like she would have a lot more in there. I find it awkward to get a grip on her small teats, but then I am used to the much more defined 'handles' of a cow. Plus if goats are anything like cows, some of them can have extremely small teats. My cow has small back teats, for instance, that I can only really milk with two fingers.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay, I found a place to get a cheap preg test done. The testing plus the equipment will only cost about $12. I'm buying the stuff tonight so it will hopefully arrive by the end of the week. Testing is done on Thursdays so I should have the results next Friday.
By the way, here is a small amount of milk I milked out from her today:

It took only a minute to get this. She doesn't hugely mind being milked, but she does lift her leg up in an uncomfortable/unfamiliar way (not like a kick).

·
8,370 Posts
Sometimes they lift their leg so you can milk better! (or the kid can nurse better!)
Good luck with them, they are lucky to have someone that cares!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't think the leg lifting is a nice thing, it's more like she tries to swipe my hand away :) But she is very good for a goat who has never been milked before! I am working with her each day and getting her used to me touching her udder.

We did taste her milk, and it was very good! I thought it might taste 'goaty' but it was actually very mild and sweet, different than the rich jersey cow milk I am used to. So I am very pleased with that discovery!

I actually haven't bought the pregnancy test yet. I realised even if I bought it earlier in the week, with the postage time here and sending the sample back again it wouldn't arrive at their lab until the end of next week, not in time for Thursday testing, so it would be a whole 2-3 weeks until I actually found out. If she is producing milk due to imminent birthing, it would probably be too late! However I may still get the test just for peace of mind. She might actually be in the early stages of pregnancy if she was with the buck recently enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts