The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will be getting a doeling that this doe had. The guy told us she was Pygmy...But when we got there he told us he thinks she is actually a ND and sure enough she is. and this is her udder. It's not the best udder obviously but i don't think it's the baddest I've ever seen ether. What do you think? She is not full-blooded also sorry these are the only two pics I have.

Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
Here On Oaks-n-Goats Farm We Are Raising Pets, And Mini/Full Sized Backyard Milkers.
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What are you buying her for? Is a good udder important to you? Are you asking if her udder conformation is ok?
I will be using her doeling when she is grown for a milk goat. But when we actually go and get the doeling I was maybe going to ask the man about buying the mom as well. I don't just use my goats for milk but " a Good udder" would be nice! I know her udder dos not have the greatest conformation but I was wanting peoples opinion on her udder anyway!.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Im not very experienced. But for personal milking, if she (the daughter) has the potential to milk well, I would say go for it. Have you seen the dad? His bloodlines might have added quality.
If she would be used for show or serious breeding, I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion on that.
Hopefully you get what I'm saying lol others should jump on and give you their opinions.

The pictures are there for me too...

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Im not very experienced. But for personal milking, if she (the daughter) has the potential to milk well, I would say go for it. Have you seen the dad? His bloodlines might have added quality.
If she would be used for show or serious breeding, I'm not experienced enough to have an opinion on that.
Hopefully you get what I'm saying lol others should jump on and give you their opinions.

The pictures are there for me too...
The dad is a ND/Pygmy mix that I really dont know much about. She will not be a show goat but a milking goat for our small farm the doeling that is.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This
I do see them now. That is a terrible udder. The attachment is so weak. That obvious split almost heart shape udder is poor. That is the type of udder that will break down early and be dragging on the ground.
Ok! Thanks for your opinion!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thats why I was asking about the dad. If he has good udder conformation in his bloodlines would it be enough to change the daughters? Or would she take after her mother.
I was also going to ask how old the mom is. If her udder has held up a lot of years maybe its not too awful?
Asking cause I'm curious, always eager to learn

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats why I was asking about the dad. If he has good udder conformation in his bloodlines would it be enough to change the daughters? Or would she take after her mother.
I was also going to ask how old the mom is. If her udder has held up a lot of years maybe its not too awful?
If I remember right. I think he said she was around 6-7? But I cant say for sure. In a lot of cases the offspring will take more after the dad. But not always. In my herd the offspring take more after my buck.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts

Yes if he was good udders in his lines it could very well improve daughters. Sounds like you don’t know though, so I would not do it-what if he has worse udders in his line?
If the doe is an older doe then yes, it makes a bit of difference because it has held up. But still, there are much better does out there if you just look a bit longer. Don’t be hasty and regret your decision later. Udders like these can make it hard for the doe to do anything but walk, and they are so loose they swing around crazily when she tries trotting or running. Not only is that uncomfortable to her, it can actually damage the udder by it getting banged into her legs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.