udderly awful...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by carrotop, Jul 18, 2017.

1. carrotop

carrotop New Member

Jul 18, 2017
    our girl Poppy who has been our star milker caught mastitis for the first time this year... and first time on our farm, which later turned to gang green. The vet and I fought her through infection and fever along with Tomorrow. The mastitis lump turned hard and worked its way out of udder leaving a gaping hole that after a few months of aftercare healed up nicely. We though we were out of the woods. She looked to be dried out (both sides) and the original damaged side from teat up shrunk like a raisin. She looks the best she ever has, shiny, a bit chunky from spoiling and feisty. Two days ago a lump started to appear near the original site of eruption near top of udder. Hubby and I applied olive oil to keep skin moisturized and this morning I come out to another eruption in her udder the size of a cream cheese package of semi hard milk. Strangely no smell, no puss at all, just a bit of milk drainage. After removing, cleaning and blue coating she is once again her normal self (I suppose it must feel good to have the pressure gone!) The gaping hole in her udder... not so normal.

She is a sweetheart however are we destined to keep repeating this? I hate to cull her when she rallied last time so well... needless to say she is now only a lawnmower around the farm and will never be bred again.

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

There must be some herb or oil you might be able to use.

3. Madgoat

Madgoat Well-Known Member Supporting Member

4. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    Give her some raw garlic and vitamin c.

5. TDG-Farms

TDG-Farms Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State

Jul 12, 2013
    Sadly, its not uncommon for a goat to have recurring bouts of mastitis once they get it. Though I dont think Ive heard of your time of situation. Then again, once a doe gets mastitis that bad, they usually lose the entire half of the udder. Id guess this is something you will be fighting every year.