Udderly confused

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Nov 22, 2008.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Hi all... Kadabra still has me guessing about kids. I THINK I've felt babies kick a few times, but she's such a wiggler herself that I can't tell much. She has gained some width, but since she's a deep doe and a FF, it's not "super noticeable" like I wish it were. She's really keeping the Doe's Code and driving me batty!

Ok, so here's the problem and the source of my confusion: she hasn't started developing an udder yet, which I know is always a possibility, but it's directly related to this question. She'd be due, at the EARLIEST, between Xmas and New Years. Xmas would be day 142 or so. So, that's not that far away at all. I've noticed her doing a bit of stretching occasionally, where she seems to arch her back and stretch out. AND she has a bit of a discharge this morning, (yellow) which I know is normal, too. She was also mounting one of the other does this morning--a younger doe that is too young to breed yet (that doe is prob coming in heat, I figure--about time for her to).

So, I go to check ligs, belly, and the udder on kadabra, right? She looks almost "less full--less wide" through her tummy than she did before. Should she drop this early? It doesn't seem like she should to me, but I'm a first timer, too, so I have no clue!ALSO, her nipples seem like they are larger and they feel like she's had a bit of a discharge coming out of them, too. They feel a little "crusty" on the tips, almost as if they have been leaking a bit or something? Can preg hormones cause the udder to leak a bit sometimes or is it something I need to worry about? Again, the udder isn't filled yet or anything. At all. I just noticed that the nipples have grown some and the "crustiness" (i don't even know if I'd use that word really, but I am at a loss for a better word right now) is right on the tips. Actually, I guess maybe I could call it a "dryness" as if something had leaked out and then dried on the tips.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone else?

Angie

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Angie is there any way you could take a picture of her pooch?(vulva/anal area)?
    StaceyRoop and a few others are really good......... at telling if they are preggo or not...just make sure the picture is clear and close enough to see the pooch area..... :)
    If she is due around new years...she really won't be bagging up until 30 days prior to due date and sometimes FF won't bag up until the last minute..... :) A pooch pic ...may help to see if she is .....or isn't..... :cool: :shades:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    At her earliest due date, she still has a month to go before she reaches it...the teats growing is a good sign, her udder will follow....and if she looks different to you it's because those babies shifted...the does belly will drop usually about 2 weeks before delivery...you'll notice the difference.....crusty teats, I haven't had that happen before, my does are all "plugged" before they deliver and I "work" it out so the kids won't need to.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't all does have the "crusty" tip on the teats? It's to protect the mammary from bacteria entering. . . . my does that have never freshened have this.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    It is called waxing..... that is a normal occurrence .. :)

6. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    Well, guess what? Two of the other does that are already showing more than Kadabra are also "waxing"... AND today when I was checking Kadabra's udder, it felt like it had grown just a small amount. It felt a bit squishy? As if it's starting to grow. It definitely feels different than it did before. :) SOOOOOOOOOOOOO I'm guessing she's preggers! I hope!!!

Angie :thumb:

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do hope she is preggo for you. Some FF will bag up slowly and have only a small udder till after they kid

8. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I too hope she is prego. I have a few FF that have no utter change yet at all and they are due in about 5 weeks. I seem to have those that wait until it is JUST about time to pop (WOW i better some how get out and start feeding them grain).