Udderly EZ milker?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Amos, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Does anyone use these? Our second one broke today. We had our first one break earlier this year, we had only used it on one doe last year throughout her whole lactation, and on two for about 2 months, so it was about 1 1/2 years old. We bought this one that broke soon after the first, and it is only about 4-5 months old. Both broke on the top of the handle where it goes into the pump. We think that the cold made this one break, but shouldn't they last through more?

They have been very handy as both my mom and i have arthritis so its easier than hand milking, but is there something out there that would work better, aside from hand milking and milking machines..? They aren't the cheapest things in the world either.

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I would think that they should last a little longer...considering the price. You should contact the manufacturer. Since both broke in the same place, it might be a bit of a design flaw...

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other alternatives to hand/machine milking...

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    there was this milker that someone posted on their website, but when I tried to access the link the website is nolonger :( so I will try to explain it

Take a spray bottle top attach a tube to it (like from a fishtank pump) attach the tube to the end of a 30 cc syringe (take out the plunger) and put the spray nozzel on stream and then wet the teat so you get some suction. Then start pumping the spray nozzel to form a suction and point it into the pail.

4. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Actually what might last longer than the head of a spray bottle is if you were to use the hand pump thingy off of a drench gun, the tube part that goes up to where the bottle would be you put the syringe, then just pump and the suction will milk for you. You can get a nice drench gun for about $20 from http://www.premier1supplies.com

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I would try the one that Stacey recommended. I have almost all the supplies to make it but just haven't gotten around to it yet.

We have an Udderly EZ milker, do not use it so often but have in the past. Works well for us. Except some of my shorter does, it is hard to get the whole contraption underneath them.

You could look into this one: http://maggidans.com/milker.htm

My aunt has the above milker from Maggidans and LOVES it. She said it works really well. She has fibromyalgia (sp?) and it is really helpful for her. It's also much cheaper than the Udderly EZ one, I think it's around $45.

6. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    The maddigan's milker is just a drench gun thing with a syringe attached at the other end :wink: :)

7. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    It works really well. To save money, it would just be best to make your own. If it breaks, it cost only a little to make. :)

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup same idea as what I posted except the pump part is just a spray bottle top.

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thanks everyone :)

10. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    The problem I have with this type of milker is that they are unable to pulsate ... stick your finger in the cup of a machine milker and you will feel the pulsation - which mimicks what your hands or the kid's mouth would ordinarily do.

It does make me wonder about the effects on teat and udder health if this type of system is used long term.

11. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I could be wrong, but I would think that it would be pulsating as you squeeze unsqueezm squeeze, unsqueeze. :shrug:

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No it doesn't. Comparing a syringe to an actual inflation off a milking machine, on a milking machine the inflation has a hard plastic shell on the outside with silicon inserts on the inside that pulsate with the vacuum pump. They squeeze the let go in succession. The Udderly EZ is the same idea as the milking machine, but the drench gun milker would just be sucking.

Does that make sense? Sorry if its confusing :oops: