The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My seven year old Alpine has had a large udder for the two years I've had her. Recently one teat has become very enlarged while the other has remained the same. She is not milking and has not been bred in a few years.
Any ideas about the growing size of her teat?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Any heat in the udder or teat? Redness or tender to touch? Could be and injury, internal or external.

·
Super Moderator
82,212 Posts
Could be just about anything mentioned, you can test her for mastitis to rule that in or out. She needs to be milked out. Balloon teats are caused by the pressure of the milk and being overly tight, because of being to full. Warm compresses, massaging may help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!
I just checked Jane's very swollen teat and it is quite hard whereas the the smaller teat is quite soft. The enlarged teat is not hot, nor is it red and doesn't seem very sensitive.
This goat has not been bred or milked in 2 or 3 years. How do you test for mastitis?

Buck

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,324 Posts
There is a test called CMT, you should be able to get it from your TSS or feed store. There is also a "home made version" I think it's on here somewhere. Milk it out and see if you get "stringy, bloody, milk". I've never dealt with mastitis, but, you have to milk it out, even if it's difficult and inject some antibiotic in the teat, probably Tomorrow, in your case.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts