Udders not developing?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlecBGreen, Jul 8, 2009.

1. I bought a small herd of Pygmies and two of the does have nipples but no udders. For lack of better words, they are "flat." The previous owner had no records (he just let them run & breed wild) so I dont know how old they are. Im guessing one is 8 months and the other is over a year old, fully grown, based on body size & horn development. I cant get close enough to check the teeth (they are still wild, uncivilized hillbilly goats!).

Is this normal? Will the udders develop when they freshen for the first time? I can take a pic if that would help. Thanks for your opinions!

Alec

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    were they in with a buck? if so they could be pregnant. Goats dont get udders till they are pregnant and freshion

3. yes, they were running with multiple bucks, one of whom I brought home. (6 does, a buck and a buckling). The females reach reproductive age around 8 months, right? The one doe (I call her Brownie) is tiny and has small horns. She is the one Im guessing is 8 months or so. If she wasnt pregnant, she will be soon b/c she is in with the buck. The bigger doe (I call her Red) is most likely a few months pregnant.

So their udders wont drop til AFTER they throw their first kids?

4. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    No pygmies can get bred as young as 2 months

They will start an udder usualy about 2 months into their pregnancy but most people dont notice any changes till they are 4 months along maybe 3 - just depends on how much you handle them and feel for udder growth

5. OK, so I guess everything is normal. Thanks for the help :thumb:

p.s. Pygmy females can breed at 2 MONTHS!?!?! Wow!

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I would not keep the does with the buck. they need to be separate. If that little one is NOT bred, then I would sure not want her bred, also a buck can hurt a doe that is pregnant.

7. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I'll second that Sweetgoats.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes... but they are way to young at that age....most will wait til they are at least a year old or at a certain weight... :worried:

I'll 3rd that ... :wink:

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Hello! I raise pygmies as well!

I would never EVER breed pygmies at 8 months. Mine are bred when they are 1 and 1/2 and only if I feel that they can handle it. And my bucks are far away from my does.

And the way it sounds, I would say that the 8 month old doe could be younger than 8 months. Goats horns come in when they are around a week old.

Best of luck. :greengrin:

10. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes they can get bred at 2 months but it isnt wise to let them get bred that early......just asking for problems there.

11. re: the pygmy breeding so young

I bought the herd "as is" from a guy up in the hills of Virginia and he had ZERO management of the goats. All the bucks and does were put together and he fed them cat food ( :shocked: ). He didnt record birth dates, didnt worm, didnt trim... basically they just ran wild. When I bought half his herd, I did knowing that many of the younger does might be already pregnant. This was back in early May so I should know within the next few months...

I have two paddocks for my goats but the electric fence wasnt delivering enough juice so they would get out when they wanted. Ive upgraded my charger and they respect the fence so Im ready to seperate the bucks & does. Im hesitant though b/c my first group of does is naturally polled and the new hillbillys all have their horns.

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    OK, since you bought them that way, there is nothing you cna do about it now other then have a GOOD GOAT VET ON STANDBY. You need to find a goat vet. It doesn't matter if you have to drive a ways, it will be worth it. Also, be prepared that IF you lose some babies and mom's it is not your fault. I do not know if I would feed the does any grain for now. Yo do not want those babies to get to big for those poor babies to have babies.

What a horrible thing that he fed them cat food. It sounds like they are much better off with you. :hug:

Naturally polled how do you know that for sure? Or did they have the horns burned? (I would guess you are right because if he did not take care of the goats he sure would not of done that). That just means that they have a 50/50 chance of not having horns.

13. the first herd I bought was 4 Nigerian Dwarves from a very sweet family in SW VA. The 3 females were all naturally polled (a mother, Maggie, and her two daughters, Ivy & Iris). The people treated the goats like members of the family. Very loving & honest people. They told me the goats were naturally polled so I trust them.

I have a local vet who is about 15 min away. Hes a goody guy, makes house calls.

The redneck herd, my hillbilly pygmies, get no grain. They are strictly on a browse/forage diet with some free-choice mineral. We will be baling our weedy field soon so they will get some hay too. They are definitely better off with me :) You should've seen the lot where they were kept. BARE DIRT, not a scrap of green to be seen, and a shed/lounging area that had about 6" of poo and urine built up *shudder* Your eyes watered just getting within 100 feet of it.

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with Lori.....they have to be watched very closely....I am happy you have a vet ...that can get there quickly....and has knowledge of goats.... :wink: :hug:

15. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you need to house the horned does with the baldies, make sure there is ample space for them to be able to get out of harms way...I myself have 1 baldy with 4 horned does..and she beats heads with all of them, granted anything is possible and the horns can be an issue but having a vet handy will definately help if there would be injuries......since you are catching the neglected ones to do hoof trims, may as well do a "safety" fix of the horns, I have duct tape across the tops and the tips of my oldest does horns as she is the most agressive, I do this to prevent her from catching a leg between them :greengrin: I only bandage down the width of the tape, it will eventually wear through and you'll either need to replace it or in the length of time it takes for that to happen, they all establish the pecking order and you won't need to replace it.

I would suggest getting any bucklings wethered...and they can keep the buck comp[any in his separate pen, a vet will band for a minimal fee, or even check with a goat breeder, sometimes they will do it as well.