udders-when?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by 4kids, Nov 30, 2009.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I have two does (Jasmine and Wildflower) that are due in January. Neither doe has developed an udder yet. Neither girl is a first freshner (although they are new to me).They are both due January 20th. W hen should I expect to see one developing. They are both from nice pedigrees. All my searches say 6-8 weeks before kidding in most cases. Do you find this true? They are Nigerian dwarf.

Thanks
    Jen

2. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Some previously bred does will wait till the last second to fill up.

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I moved this to an area where it will get more attention.

As I noticed with my girls, I had one 2nd timer due the end of January in 08 and she did not start an udder until Christmas, then it steadily grew until she ballooned the day she delivered. So with experienced girls it can be anywhere from 4-6 weeks before they deliver. FF are averaging about 6-8 weeks and some will wait until they deliver to fill up.

4. Some does will bag up as early as a month ahead the others can wait as far as a week to a few days before.

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    okay- good to know.

6. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Mine start filling about 6-8 weeks before kidding. I have 2 due the end of January and you can barely see a little udder coming in but you can feel it much better.

7. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I can feel the smallest little udder on them both but nothing obvious. I have not given them a birthing cut, so they are still very fluffy with hair and it is hard to see.

8. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wait till they are on day 140 before you give a full birthing cut -- you can clip their udder after you see enough of it to actually clip ;)

9. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I have two does due in January, one has started her udder and one has nothing! Both have kidded before, so it just depends on the doe.

10. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Good advice, Stacey. As always, I spend way too much time staring at my goats rear area!!!!