Udders

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by sparks879, Mar 9, 2009.

1. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

I did this for a little bit of reference here.

I have never seen a perfect udder. But I have seen a lot of great ones. When viewed from the side a does udder should show on third behind her leg, on third hidden by her leg and one third in front of her leg. She should have a well extended foreudder that is very smoth. No pockets or shelfs. The rear should be high and wide, round when viewed from the back. The shape should be globular. her teats should be carrot shaped, Not smaller on top then they are at the bottem (often called christmas light teats) They should point down and straight rathern then out or in. They should not be placed too far out or too far in. Her attachments should be smooth and strong, her rear attachment should be wide apart. Ones too close together make the udder loose and too low. Her medial should be strong and well defined, neither too high or two low. Too high will cause a cleft in her udder. Too low will cause the udder tofall and not hold up to the weight of a full udder.
    I got these pictures off of a google image search.
    This doe has a high well rounded escutchen and rear attachment, her teats are well defined and a good size and shape. Her medial is just about perfect.
    http://fiascofarm.com/photo_images/oval-udder2.jpg
    This doe has a wide rear attachment, but its very low, her medial is not well defined causing her teats to point out.
    http://www.groundrushfarm.com/Red_udder_2.jpg
    This doe has a short foreudder, its not as esxtended as it should be cutting up into her belly suddenly causing a pocket
    http://www.aussiegoats.com/images/udder ... _udder.jpg
    This does fore udder is much smoother, and well extended
    http://www.celticknotlm.com/images/SatR ... 1n2Rch.jpg

2. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Excellent info!! Thank You!

3. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    Thanks so much Beth! I think I've learned most about udders from you (and some books too) but this is a very helpful reference tool. :)

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you Beth! Very good pics and your description on the lacking areas really helped!

5. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    :applaud: You ought to be a judge. ;-) (or are you already.... ?)

6. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i have judged some 4-h shows and whatnot but im not licensed. I would like to be someday...
    beth

7. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Thankyou for posting those links - pictures are always a HUGE help when 'judging' udders on my does.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    thanks for sharing .... :greengrin:

9. shadycreekgoats

shadycreekgoats New Member

Mar 23, 2009
    Northern Illinois
  10. MachoCabrío

MachoCabrío New Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Thank you for setting this up!

11. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Awesome! I have learned so much already, but this really helps round it out. No pun intended. LOL

I am learning so much about condition and conformation as well. Funny too, I have been "window shopping" online looking at does and the ones that look the best to me are actually ones that have the "right" conformation. So Whoopee! I'm actually learning!

Please keep posting these, it is really helpful.

12. Herebegoats

Herebegoats New Member

Dec 29, 2009
    If you all don't mind my interjecting here. :wink: Also consider productivity of an udder. An ideal udder on a dairy doe should be soft and pliable in texture and when milked out there should not be a lot of excess tissue. You will find there are many goats with beautiful round udders but those udders are all "meat" and do not milk out well at all. Or you have the opposite problem and you have an animal freshen with a tiny perfect shaped udder but no milk at all. I have seen those too!

In dairy goats form is important for function. First and foremost you want to look at the medial suspensary ligament. Look at the doe #2 that was pictured where her teats are way out to the side. Even though that doe's rear udder looks ok for now that is the most undesirable of all of those udders to me. The medial suspensiary ligament is what holds the udder against the body wall, separates the halves and allows for proper teat placement and supports the weight of the udder during heavy production. You will see very few really productive animals that do not at least have strong medials.

The next most important aspect of the udder is the rear udder - height to keep it off the ground, LOL but also the width to allow it to be filled with a lot of milk producing tissue.

The fore-udder - really just the icing on the cake. It supports the udder some but not near as much as the rear udder and medial suspensary ligament.

Kelley Hines

13. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Thanks for the links. Those are very helpful!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  14. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio
    I agree that this is really helpful,and it'd be great to see more stuff like this :)

15. pelicanacresMN

pelicanacresMN New Member

If you are a member of ADGA I have found a huge help in determining body types & superb udders. You have to log in to http://www.adga.org After you log in, there is a box in the left side & if you click on the linear appraisal option, then click on the linear appraisal handbook file option. The handbook is fabulous!! It covers stature, strength, dairyness, rump angle, rump width, rear legs side view, fore udder attachment, rear udder height, rear udder arch, medial suspensory ligament, udder depth, teat placement rear view, teat diameter, & rear udder side view. For each of those things listed, they show 3 goats--one with each poor quality, one with average & one with exceptional qualities. They have easy to understand descriptions under each topic. I made a chart of my goats names & I printed a copy to help me determine what goats have which qualities.

16. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The first doe's udder (imho) is so close to perfect when viewed from the rear. I would love for all my does to have udders like that! I am thinking what Beth may mean is that her medial is perhaps a tad "too defined" if that makes sense. I could be way off though but that's just what I was thinking when I saw it.

17. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    PelicanAcres: I just logged into my ADGA account and found the handbook you posted about. THANK YOU!! What a neat thing that I probably would have never found on my own. Thanks so much for sharing! I'm going to go and print it out now. :)

18. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    This is very helpful!

I liked the descriptions/pictures. I could never "see" a medial before I read your descriptions with your pics.

Could you (or anyone) do more just like this? haha I don't have an account at the adga site...

19. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    The Illustrated Standard of the Dairy Goat is a wonderful book to start with. It was done by Nancy Lee Owens and you can find it at Caprine Supply. I was able to borrow it from the library.

Here is a good website: http://www.kidnacres.com/id16.html

20. goatiegurl*Oh

goatiegurl*Oh Senior Member

Nov 10, 2007
    Ohio

I think that's a great idea. Is there somewhere on the ADGA site that you can look at conformation pics like these?