Ugggggg (fencing in the rain)

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by crocee, Mar 25, 2010.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Mother Nature is so not cooperating this year. I need to open up another acre for the girls and Mother Nature is being a pain in my behind. I tried to do this during the winter while the honey suckle was semi dormant, the stuff stayed green and growing all winter. Mother Nature decided to cry rain all winter. What time it wasn't raining it was snowing and frigidly cold. What time it wasn't flooding or slippery I had to work. Now I am fighting growing honey suckle and water to get this fence up. We stretched 1 section yesterday but it was too dark to clip to the T-posts. Now I am running out between rain storms trying to get that done. I still have to take down a poor excuse for a privacy fence that came with the house. This fence has about 50 pieces per 8ft section as the one who put it up used 2 1/2 foot scraps. The honeysuckle has been trying to pull it down for a couple years so it looks pretty sad. According to the radar, there is a short time clearing in the rain so I will be hustling my buns to get the clips on the section that is up and stretched, and attempting to burn the junk sections of the privacy fence. I only have today and tomorrow off so I gotta get as much as I can done. The girls will be much happier in the new area with the green grass, weeds, and honey suckle so this makes all the ugg worth it. The things we suffer through for our goats........

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Shoot... that would be terrible.. :sigh: ...in the bad weather ... Even having to do all that ...in the great weather is work..... Good luck... hope it clears out soon...for you... :hug:

3. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Uggg I hate putting up fencing even in good weather (esp since good weather here means totally dry earth and trying to pound posts in it is like trying to pound posts into bedrock). It always takes so much more time than you think.

:hug: and good luck with your project! I'm sure your goats will be grateful, and I hope the weather gives you enough of a break to get it done...

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    very frustrating. Dont hurt yourself out there when in a hurry

5. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Aw, I completely understand! We have gotten crazy rain here too so clearing out a path to be able to keep the dogs out just hasn't happened! On the plus side you aren't trying to learn how to do it in the middle of an august heat wave with 115 degree weather and 80% humidity while 4 months pregnant! (my first experience with fencing) Sometimes we just have to fence when we can even when that means being uncomfortable.

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Got that first section clipped and starting to tear down the poor excuse for a privacy fence. Got another wave of rain/storm comming in any time now. I think I will start the fire to burn the rotted boards after it passes.