The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is driving me crazy this yr! Every other day it seems I have another sick goat ! Today my week old Nigerian Dwarf has clear runny nose and runny eyes temp is good should I treat or wait? If I should treat what should I treat with?

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
b complex would be good...keep an eye on the temp..a bit of benadryl (5cc) see how he does...
with your others..what was the outcome? was antibiotics needed?? i

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No one needed antibiotics so far treated them with corid for cossi and a bunch developed a cough and slight runny nose that I just watched and it went away in couple days 2 had dry cough I treated for lung worms just seems like something every day lately I am not really complaining it could be much worse but would really like every one to get healthy and stay Healthy :) thx for advise the weather here has been so crazy I am sure that is what has been causing everything

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Yes here too...hot humid one day dry hot the next then rain lol..cool breezes..crazy and hard on goats..we have many with clear snotty noses...
I would dose with B complex and see if that helps..: )

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Fresh garlic also will support their system. Garlic is my "go to herb" when they don't really need antibiotics yet, but I don't want it to develop into anything.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fresh garlic also will support their system. Garlic is my "go to herb" when they don't really need antibiotics yet, but I don't want it to develop into anything.
Do u give them cloves of garlic? Or sprinkle like garlic powder in there food?

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
Fresh is best. I give them cloves. 2 cloves every day per goat if there's a little bit of the sniffles. If they have a real problem going on, I don't hesitate to give them up to 4 cloves twice a day. Very hard to OD on garlic. There are over 32 known benefits of eating garlic, some of which include as a dewormer (not all worms, but some), an antifungal, antibacterial, etc.

Some of mine will take it as a treat, but most of the time I have to be sneaky. I wrap the cloves in banana peels, or crush them and mix them with molasses.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
mine take garlic too. they were hesitant to try it at first, so I had to shove them in their mouths or cut it into small pieces and sprinkle in their food, but even then they would avoid...hence the shoving. but now, they'll eat it willingly. sometimes will take it as a treat!

other immune boosters to consider is vit C (also help to keep mastitis away apparently)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts