ugh...baby lethargic and watery, mucousy diarreah

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by sixshooterfarm, May 20, 2008.

1. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok I have a 3 week old baby girl, the last couple of days she hasent been wanting to eat much, I was like alright I just watched her. Well today she has watery diarreah and it is a clear mucous, it is really weird. They are bottle fed. Her temp is 103.2. Color is good. I gave her sulmet and pepto....I need to give her some gatorade and will be giving her a vit B shot. Should I give a Thiamine shot??

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    It sounds like ecoli - Scour halt is what I would use.

Thamine wont' hurt her but I can't see it really helping her situation. :shrug:

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I had a baby do exactly this. I don't have scour halt so I gave Naxcel. Plus Pepto. And he is feeling TONS better today.

4. whatknott

whatknott New Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    with 103.2 temp, I would start antibiotic treatment - penicillin, la200, naxell - something; I think a little young for coccidia

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I hpe she gets over this. I think you have gone through enough these last few days. :pray:

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    103.2 is still in the normal range I wouldn't be starting antibiotic :shrug:

And no the kid is not to young for cocci --- we learned that recently with another members kids who got it at 2 weeks old

7. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    But the color of their pooh is dark with Cocci, isn't it?

8. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    yes, Cocci usually is dark brown or dark green.

Rachel, I know you are familiar with homeopathics, if you can get the remedy Podophyllum(that might not be spelled right) that works great for diarreha on babies. Get it in the 6c or x dose.

9. sixshooterfarm

sixshooterfarm New Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Valley Springs, Ca
    Ok well I treated her for cocci and she is back to normal...for now, I will continue the treatment. We will see what happens! thanks everyone!

10. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    what exactly of cocci?

11. cjpup

cjpup New Member

Dec 1, 2007
    TX
    More boer does got Cocci at 2 weeks and had a wide range of colors. One day green, the next brown, the next a foamy white, the next yellow....you get the picture. Is there anyway you can run a fecal or have a vet do a fecal on them?

CJ

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you are asking what it is...it's an organism/parasite found in all goats, though young kids have a tendency to get an overload that can be caused by any number of issues...it is in the very early stages when they develope diarrhea and if not treated can kill them. Most often used are sulfa drugs for treatment and a coccidiastat such as Deccox is used as a preventative. It can cause such severe damage to the intestine that it prevents the kid from absorbing nutrients and there fore will cause stunted growth and general unthriftiness. Albon and Sulmet are the common sulfas for treatment...a "double dose" for the first day and then it's halved for the next 4 days. Prevention...which is something I plan on doing for next kidding season..is Di-Methox as a drench or Deccox added to the minerals or as a top dress in the dams feed starting 3 months into the pregnancy and continuing til the kids are weaned( at least this was how my vet suggessted I use it). :greengrin:

13. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    The trouble with doing a fecal, which can show cocci eggs, is that by that time it shows, damage has already been done. FOr kids anyway- adults almost always have some count if it is present in that area. But the adults seem to have resistance to some degree- the kids seem to have none.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    thanks, i have actually learned alot on this thread!

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the damage might be done but the goat isnt' doomed.

Mia had cocci at 6 weeks. Mia is 2 years old and has kidded twice. She is on the petite side but so is her 100% healthy daugher out of a large buck. :shrug: So I just believe her lines are small (unregistered). Her mom come to think of it was rather tiny too. So it doesn't mean they always are stunted and wont live a thrifty life or have a terrible condition. I think "the damage is done" is not an accurate way to put it. But i am not sure how to actually phase it to explain it instead :scratch:

16. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Stacey, I agree that just because a kid has cocci it doesn't mean that the damage has been done....my reg nigi buckling had a diagnosis at 3 months and was treated for it, but he is a small boy still at over a year old, his breeder told me that he was just over a pound when he was born and the fact that his mom and dad are small goats contributed to him being small, the bout with cocci just slowed him down but didn't adversely affect him....my vet had told me that when the infection is so severe that it causes bloody diarreah it is more likely to cause scarring of the intestine contributing to the nutritional deficiencies. So just because a kid has an outbreak it's not a "death" sentence so to speak IF it is caught early enough and treated appropriately.

17. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Cocci can not complete it's lifecycle without causing some damage to the intestines-so if there are eggs showing, damage has been done- that is not "dooming" them of course. If the damage is enough to cause blood to show, then that means there will be some scarring. It would seem to me that it would take a lot of damage to mean that the animal wouldn't be able to absorb the nutients it needs once the problem is eliminated..

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    thats some very good explenations.

I didn;t want someone to read this and think that once their goat gets cocci that that it was the end. I don't dispute that Mia had a struggle to get up to a normal weight and size, for her age then, after being treated but happy to report that long term damage doesn't seem to be an issue.